1950 7.5hp Fleetwin Prop shaft removal

JTKelleyiii

Seaman Apprentice
I am in the process of resurrecting a 1950 7.5hp Fleetwin Model 4434. My question is once the gear housing cap and clutch lever support collar are removed should the prop shaft slide out easily? I can pull the prop shaft out partially then the clutch drive spring starts to expand indicating to me that something is hung up. Since I am unfamiliar with this setup would appreciate some guidance from you experienced members before I get more "forceful" on removing the prop shaft and screw something up.

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1950 7.5hp Fleetwin Prop shaft removal

Do you have the gearcase removed right now from the exhaust housing?

50_7_5HPpg6.jpg

JTKelleyiii

Seaman Apprentice

I have it removed. I think corrosion is locking up something in there. Gears are in great shape and everything rotates freely and smoothly. Shaft is just hung up or frozen on something. Maybe one of the clutch drums? Basically it will always be "in gear" if I leave it as is. Would like to restore the clutch functionality since I have the motor torn down. Also, when everything is functioning correctly what does the clutch lever engage once the knob is pushed down?

Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It has been at least 150 years since I've had one of those apart. But I can give you a generic answer to some of your questions. That kind of clutch is always in gear unless the interrupt lever contacts a tang on the clutch spring WHILE THE SHAFT IS ROTATING. Excuse the caps, they are for emphasis. When the tang on the end of the rotating spring is stopped by the clutch lever, it makes the spring unwind, which makes it lose its grip on the hub. Then it stops rotating. Move the clutch lever out of the way of the tang. spring returns to its grip on the hub, locking everything together, and away you go.

I looked in the applicable Evinrude service manual, and it doesn't say a thing about it.

JTKelleyiii

Seaman Apprentice

F_R, thank you very much for that description. I have learned something and I appreciate it!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry, I have a couple parts motors if you break anything! lol

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I have one too. Condition unknown, but a possibility. Maybe I'll tear it down just to refresh my memory.

JTKelleyiii

Seaman Apprentice

Just to be sure, the spring tang is the end of the spring that is bent out? See picture where my finger is pointing to.

Thanks

Attachments

• spring2.jpg
    spring2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I reckon. Like I said, it has been while. But that general concept has been used by numerous manufacturers, Johnson, Gale, Evinrude, Champion, Mercury, Martin, to name a few.