195? Skagit...first plea for info/help

sunkentreasure

Seaman Apprentice
I think I'm losing my mind...as if I don't have enough projects in the works, now I bought a boat. It looked good in the Craigslist ad and after a VERY long 500 mi. round trip to Oregon I have a 1950's Skagit sitting on a trailer in front of my house. I'm gonna have to make some concessions and get rid of a few things to keep peace in the house!

I did have the brains to make sure the owner had the correct legal title, but the year is listed as "unknown" which may cause a problem with our California DMV. From photos on the net it looks like a 1958 Sportser, but mine is stated as 16' on the title and the ones pictured are listed as 14'. The hull number is 8659088 if that will help i.d. the boat.

Except for a repairable gel coat scratch on the bottom of the hull (rock) and some hardware issues, the rest of the boat looks pretty good...just an awful brush paint job on the upper deck area.

First major question...the floor seems very solid and I get hints from the net that Skagit used hollow or "tunnel" stringers in these hulls. Can anyone confirm this? If that's true, there's no wood to worry about other than the transom (which I think it still good).

Any info from Skagit owners would be GREATLY appreciated!

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 195? Skagit...first plea for info/help

You have a legal title, I wouldn't worry about it.

Unless the transom is made of teak or mahogany....which it COULD be , its probably not long for replacing. I had an old MFG that had a hardwood transom. So ya never know.

Besides if the stringers and transom are perfect , its not much of a project.

So are you gonna look for an engine now?

sunkentreasure

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick reply! Forgot to mention...it has a running 33 hp Johnson on it now, with original Johnson controls. Teleflex steering...cable looks a little shoddy.

ALSO forgot to mention (it's 4:30 a.m. here!) there is a large either aluminum or stainless welded reinforcement plate that straddles the transom. Motor is clamped to the port side to allow a trolling motor. I found a few spider cracks in the glass of the transom top and they're very small so may be from vibration. Right now I'm trying to decide if that plate was installed because of a soft transom or just because the old owner wanted it!

I'll try to get some pics posted later today rather than ask vague questions! Thanks!!!

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Pix, pix...we need pix. Take an awl or ice pick and poke at the transom wood, if it's wet and mushy or dry and flaky...you have a transom job ahead. If you have a glass skin over the inside of the transom, drill a hole with the smallest bit you have and check the wood the bit pulls out...wet+mushy=bad. Dry and solid=good. You can fill/seal the holes with 3M 4200 sealant from Stuffmart. Maybe the PO can tell you why the transom plate was put on...could have been a quick fix for a weakening transom. You need to know. Post the model number of the Johnson and we can date it for you. Check out the Top Secret File at the top of the Johnson/Evinrude forum...it'll walk you through getting the Johnson back up to speed if it needs any help.

sunkentreasure

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much! I've been cruising the net gathering info and it seems the boat is a Skagit Skimaster, which explains the length difference.

First order of business is to get the whole shebang secured in my driveway, then I'm going to drill a few test holes in that transom as suggested. Seems the quickest way to determine what I've got. Am I correct in assuming that most soft (rot) wood will usually be at the bottom?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

The wet-rotted wood will generally be down low...but rot creeps and can eat an entire piece of wood over time. When I de-transomed my old tinny, only the top corners were anywhere near solid...rest was junk, pulled most of it out by hand, but it sat neglected in a marina yard for don't know how many years.