18hp starter amp draw

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have an 68 Evinrude 18hp that I am putting a starter on would like to know how many amps the starter will draw.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18hp starter amp draw

I don't have the manual for the 18. My 15HP starter is rated 55 Amps max (draw while cranking) according to the service manual specs.<br /><br />When buying your heavy duty switch, don't forget that this is 12 Volts. <br /><br />You can probably pick up a used OMC solenoid and use a much lighter switch if you can figure a way to mount it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You should use a solenoid. That current will arc the switch contacts heavily in no time. The solenoid doesn't have to be mounted inside the engine cowl. It can be mounted in the boat although it would be better protected on the engine.

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for info, have the solenoid with junction box and all wiring execpt the motor side just want to make sure I get wire with enough amp rating.

Paul Moir

Admiral

The starter is the same as the Big Twins. No doubt it'll consume a little less on the 18hp than the larger engines, but it should give you a guide. Those engines used #3 - #6 for battery cables depending on the year. If you're not going far #6 will work just fine.

Moody Blue

Captain

While on the subject of current draw, does anyone know the draw for a 9.9 Evinrude starter? The manual shows 7amp no load but I'm wondering what the real world current draw is. The manual also shows 10ga cable as the heaviest for runs of up to 10ft. Had posted the same question in the electic/electronic section but got no answer. Hoping someone here might know.

mfbear

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Talked to an older marine mechanic and he said I should use at least 8 gauge wire due to heat build up while cranking, so I found some 6 gauge rated for 75 amps.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

To RodC:<br /><br />The 9.9HP uses the same starter motor as the 15HP which draws 55 Amps Maximum (draw while cranking) according to the service manual.

Moody Blue

Captain

Wow, thats alot of amps for a little motor. <br />Thanks for the info.