18hp Evinrude Restoration complete!

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 18hp Evinrude Restoration complete!

Yes I agree about the lean sneeze. No worries whitejd12, I'm cool. Reset the jets and timing. If the points are old replace them. I think you should have the cover off and adjust the carb while running. Has the spark gap been checked?

64osby

Admiral

Lean sneeze, adjust the mixture richer, Make sure there are no air leaks in the fuel system.

The motor seems to running on one cylinder or has a spun prop.

Video #2 shows you running with the cowl on, what changed? Putting the cowl on and the motor dying is a sign that it's sucking in exhaust fumes. This would be a leaking gasket on the powerhead.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone. 64osby.....I will adjust the mix richer. What's a spun prop? If I'm running on one cylinder and remove the good plug wire, the engine will die completely, if I remove the bad plug wire, nothing will happen, right?? The points were regapped during this restoration. I had spark on both plugs when I was finished. I did switch to J6C from J8C plugs based on some advice I got on here earlier.....could that be the problem? It'll a week or two before I can get back on water to test it again.....busy. :) I'll keep everyone updated.

Jeff

AlTn

Commander

you are correct concerning the plug wire removal...j6c's are as hot as you need to go...do a search on spun prop as there are plenty of posts on that malady

kfa4303

Banned

+1 on the plug wire and spark plugs. A "spun prop" refers to a phenomena whereby the rubber hub found between the inner wall of the prop and prop bearing breaks loose allowing the motor to rev without allowing the prop to fully engage. As a result, it seems as if you're "spinning your wheels". The motor will run well, but she won't go anywhere, particularly at higher rpms. Prop hubs replaced the old shear pin set up foun don most vintage motors. Both are designed to fail under stress to prevent damage to the prop/LU, however the hubs can fail over time. You can either get a replacement prop, or have it rehubbed by taking it to a prop shop. It's not a DIY job unfortunately.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kfa4303.....How can I check to see if the prop is spun? I have an old shear pin prop. Is that something I can just check by taking the prop off? What do I look for? Or do I have to have it on water? I figure I'd eliminate/confirm that before going through a bunch of other checks.

64osby........u asked about running with the cowl on/off? In the first video, I started he motor w/cowl off and then it died when I put it on, while it was running. In the 2nd video, I started the motor w/the cowl already on, and it ran "fine".

kfa4303

Banned

Hi White. If you have a shear pin set up, you won't (shouldn't) have a hubbed prop. Motors will either have a hubbed prop, or a shear pin style set up. Of course, someone may have swapped props over the years. You can check for a spun hub by scribing a line with a marker across all the surfaces on the back of the prop. You then bring the motor up to speed, under load on the water until it slips. You can then remove the prop. If the line is still intact and level, the hub is ok, if it is broken/crooked, then the hub is spun.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok everyone. Got out on the water to try to figure out the problem. And I did. You geniuses were right......:joyous:, only running on 1 cylinder. When I pulled the boot off "top" plug, I got shocked, (thank you) :joyous:, and the motor died. When I pulled off "bottom" plug, still a shock, but motor stayed running. So that tells me that the bottom cylinder is the culprit, right? As an aside, the "springs" down in the boots that snap over the end of the sparkplug, were getting hung up and wanting to grab and pull out, when I pulled off the boots. Maybe plug wires need replaced. Anyway, I'm attaching a short 1 min video. Before I started my restore it was running on both cylinders, what could have caused this and what's the fix? Hopefully it's not a major problem. Thanks for all your input and hopefully someone can give me some advice on how to get this thing running on both cylinders.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, did anyone notice that "good lookin" cowling? Not bad for 40 years old. :joyous: Brand new white automotive paint job, and I found some vintage decals online, that I installed. :)

Jeff

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was also just doing some research on here and found that I should be running a 24:1 fuel mix?? Is that right? I've always used a 50:1 mix. Premium fuel, AMS oil and Seafoam. Now I'm wondering. Hmmmmm. :noidea:

kfa4303

Banned

Glad you're running good white. 50:1 mix should be fine. The rule of thumb is that most post 1964 OMC motors can use 50:1, but I always run 24:1 just to be safe. However, you don't need to add Seafoam to every batch. Using it once or twice a year should be fine.

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

kfa4303....I'm not running good. See post w/video. I'm only running on one cylinder. Hoping for advice. Thanks.

Jeff

kfa4303

Banned

I see what you mean. Definitely looks and sounds like you're only running on one cylinder. If the ignition components themselves have been recently serviced, I suspect you may simply have a wire loose, or a wire shorting out under the flywheel. The first step is to determine which cylinder is actually faulty. You were correct when you said that if removing the spark plug lead at idle did NOT cause the motor to change rpm, then that's the bad cylinder. Be sure you use insulated (rubber handled) pliers, or you'll get quite a shock. You can then replace the bad lead and unplug the other one, which should cause the motor to die, further confirming your suspicions. Once you're sure which cylinder is bad, you can pull the flywheel and inspect the components. Here's a great ignition rebuild link. Holler if you get stuck.

3 HP Evinrude Lightwin Ignition System Tune-Up 1952-1967

whitejd12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok. I'll remove flywheel again and double check everything. I cleaned and checked all ignition parts but did not replacing them. Maybe I need to. Plus I think I'll replace plug wires. Ok thanks.

kfa4303

Banned

Yeah, it's well worth the effort to simply replace the points and condensers if its been a while. You can get a tune up kit right here at iboats, or your local NAPA auto parts store for about $20. You'll also need some 7mm copper core spark plug wire. NAPA will also often sell if for a few $ a foot as well. Be sure to use 3, (1/4" x 20 x 3") GRADE 8 bolts and washers with the flywheel puller as the bolts they come with are usually not strong enough. You can find them any lowes/hd. Holler if you get stuck.

flywheel puller.jpgflywheel puller.jpg