1800 fisherman transom problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cooterdude

Seaman Apprentice
I am the proud owner of a 1998 lund 1800 fisherman with a 115 hp mercury outboard
i was at the lake the other day swimming around my boat when i noticed a problem on the transom the motor mount bolts
looked loose so i took it home that evening and tightened them down then i noticed that some of the transom bolts "im guessing there for bracing the transom " are loose there is no kind of sealant on the bolts and they have backed off at least a 16th of an inch there is no access to the bolts with the splash-well in place im asking for opinions on what i should do at this point should this be covered under my lifetime hull warranty or will i have to replace my transom at my cost
the plywood in the transom is pretty well soaked and starting to fail if i do have to replace it it will be solid material when it goes back together has anyone ever made a transom board out of solid surface counter top material like Formica or Corian
im at a loss as to what to do ive contacted brunswick boat division ill update when i hear back from them :facepalm:

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1800 fisherman transom problem

You have a 14 year old boat that needs a new transom. Do it yourself and skip Lund dealers. No biggie. A sheet of good 3/4 plywood and some epoxy... Semi-easy to fix. NO FORMICA/CORRIAN. There is plenty of info on how to do this in the rebuild forum. If that isn't enough check with the Starcraft cult.... Granted a 14 year old boat shouldn't need it but hey manufacturers and dealers are not perfect. Fix it yourself the right way and it will outlast you.

cooterdude

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1800 fisherman transom problem

sorry for the long time since posting why wouldnt you want to use corian or starboard to replace the transom twice as strong as wood and solid so that it would never rot again i only want to do this once

LBHunter

Recruit
S
I am the proud owner of a 1998 lund 1800 fisherman with a 115 hp mercury outboard
i was at the lake the other day swimming around my boat when i noticed a problem on the transom the motor mount bolts
looked loose so i took it home that evening and tightened them down then i noticed that some of the transom bolts "im guessing there for bracing the transom " are loose there is no kind of sealant on the bolts and they have backed off at least a 16th of an inch there is no access to the bolts with the splash-well in place im asking for opinions on what i should do at this point should this be covered under my lifetime hull warranty or will i have to replace my transom at my cost
the plywood in the transom is pretty well soaked and starting to fail if i do have to replace it it will be solid material when it goes back together has anyone ever made a transom board out of solid surface counter top material like Formica or Corian
im at a loss as to what to do ive contacted brunswick boat division ill update when i hear back from them 🤦
Spend the money on a new composite transom. You'll never have to replace it again. I went through the same pain with the dealer and Lund...they won't stand behind it...last Lund product I'll ever buy. It costs about $4300 to replace with the composite transom.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They likely fixed it 10 years ago.----Yes ,---if you are paying someone for this simple work it adds up fast !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.