18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

The weather here has been terrible so it's not like I'm really missing out. Even when it's nice out there's been high winds.

I feel the same way, I keep thinking that summer is going to arrive soon and I need to kick it into gear, but the temps haven't gone up yet.

I will really be kicking myself if I'm out working on my trailer on a day when it's 70+ outside and we should be out on the boat:rolleyes:

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I feel the same way, I keep thinking that summer is going to arrive soon and I need to kick it into gear, but the temps haven't gone up yet.

I will really be kicking myself if I'm out working on my trailer on a day when it's 70+ outside and we should be out on the boat:rolleyes:

we had a horrible winter( for fla.) 6 freezes and then it just went to summer.
in the 90's now i have to time my working on the boat to early morn or late afternoon (sunset was 8 pm yesterday)

ez that is looking so much like it is water test time. don't forget the pics on that day!!!!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

The boat is looking great, I hadn't seen the pics since I'm blocked at work. My stern light is the same height, good if the boat is rising and falling in swells to stay visible.

I like the idea of keeping the OB original too, but you can also add a iboats sticker if ya feel the need.:D

Are you going to tackle the mounting of that troller on the bow next?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Pulled the boat out tonight and installed the one remaining jump seat. I put 5 gallons of gas in the tank and fired up the motor. She still runs!! Yeah!! Idles well, goes into gear fine. Too bad it won't do that on the water :mad:. I'm going to do it again soon in a bin of water and see if it stalls.

Tomorrow I'm going to take my hubs off and Saturday morning I'm going to run to the RV shop with them and hopefully they can tell me what I need bearing/seal-wise. God willing within a week I'll get in a test run. Hopefully at least as good a test run as I got when I first bought it if I can get the motor in gear without it dying.

Took a ride with my son tonight to check out the boat ramp situation at a different section of the same river where I usually boat. Looks like a really cool area. I definitely want to go there with my dad's boat. I could quite tell if I could run the SS there or not. You may have heard of the prominent landmark in the area......Three Mile Island!!!!

bananaboater

Ensign

You may have heard of the prominent landmark in the area......Three Mile Island!!!!

Ahhhhhhh TMI. I was dating my first wife then and she lived in Camp Hill. I suspect the exposure to the radiation is what ended that marriage 7 years later. ;)

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Tick
Tock

about the way it feels right about now eh :D

Glad to hear she fired up OK

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just got back from the RV shop. Good thing I went there. Apparently just about ALL my stuff was weird. My inner bearings were a typical size. The outers were unusually small but they actually had a set in stock. The rear seals were totally weird and they had to order them. I paid for all the parts today and am only in it $33. When the seals come in, I'm going to take them home and make sure they fit the spindle then I will probably take everything back and pay them a little labor to put it all back together. This will end up being the same price as if I actually had been able to buy pre-loaded hubs and will be much cheaper than a new axle. So some more time will be lost but at least the trailer will be getting taken care of. They spent like a half hour today determining all the parts I needed which I really appreciated.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Glad to hear things are going forward, but I have to say...you should work it out so that you can at least watch them put it back together, we've all seen at one time or another, someone broke down on the side of the road with the wheel and hub off....road service like that can ruin a month in a heartbeat. I carry extra bearings, seals & grease in an old small tool box whenever I tow...ya just never know....sorry, But I'm weird like that :D & thinking about that future road trip some have planned for next month ;)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Kenny I actually may just put it back together myself. Now that I have it all apart it I can see that it isn't exactly complicated.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

That's the Starcraft spirit, Now get those hands all greasy and give the Mrs a big 'ol hug :D....

Yeah it really is pretty easy, and you'll feel better just knowing that 'if' ever need be, you'll be ready. I relate it to some of the work on our boats, might never have tried a few things, were it not from the help in here...IE: Billy Bass ring any bells LOL

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

sooooooo ....... get the hubs back togeather ??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

sooooooo ....... get the hubs back togeather ??

Scott you fail at reading comprehension :p I'm waiting on the rear seals which had to be ordered. Hopefully early this week.

My weekend started out crappy. We were hit with a major hail storm that damaged two of our vehicles and possibly the house. The "new" Jeep and my truck got hit bad. My neighbors rear window got smashed out of her car. I'm sure the Jeep will get fixed fine but I'm worried about my truck. If they decide to paint only the hood and roof that's going to look pretty dumb on a 20 year old vehicle. If that's the case, I probably just won't fix it which will be a shame since it was in real nice shape. Fortunately our deductibles were only $250 each but that's still a lot of money. Our house appears ok but this is the second major hail storm it's been through....including one about a year ago which caused about half my neighborhood to get new roofs and siding. We figured we better at least get it checked out as we didn't last time. Bummer all the way around.

Had a GREAT day today. My wife and I and our son took my dad's little boat out on a section of the river we've never been to before. It was awesome! It wasn't a huge area but there was lots to look at. Lots of islands. A couple of them even had boat docks and had little park/picnic areas on them! That's pretty cool since any island I've ever seen otherwise was usually posted. I didn't know if it was an area I could take the SS out in but there were plenty of larger boats there. I think I'd be ok if I stuck to the open areas. Can't wait to check it out again with the SS. We fished for a bit but nothing serious since our son is 2.5. He had a blast though. We covered a good bit of area even though we only had 4HP.

I told my wife the SS would be usable on memorial day weekend and come hell or high water....it will be.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

ezmobee,
Sounds like a bite of bitter sweet weekend. Bummer about the hail storm.
It's amazing how much damage those little balls can cause.
Great, that you had fun with the family exploring new area's.
I hope all is well with the house.
Bob

Andy in NY

Commander

i just did my bearings last night, and for never having done them before it was surprisingly easy. it was interesting though, the passenger side hub, when i removed the dust cap, about 3 oz water came out!!!!!

bananaboater

Ensign

We were hit with a major hail storm that damaged two of our vehicles and possibly the house. The "new" Jeep and my truck got hit bad. My neighbors rear window got smashed out of her car. I'm sure the Jeep will get fixed fine but I'm worried about my truck. If they decide to paint only the hood and roof that's going to look pretty dumb on a 20 year old vehicle. If that's the case, I probably just won't fix it which will be a shame since it was in real nice shape. Fortunately our deductibles were only $250 each but that's still a lot of money. Our house appears ok but this is the second major hail storm it's been through....including one about a year ago which caused about half my neighborhood to get new roofs and siding. We figured we better at least get it checked out as we didn't last time. Bummer all the way around.

Yup, had a pick up that looked like it had acne. You're right to get the roof checked out after 2 hits. Lucky you don't have a metal roof, imagine all those dents.

tallcanadian

Captain

i just did my bearings last night, and for never having done them before it was surprisingly easy. it was interesting though, the passenger side hub, when i removed the dust cap, about 3 oz water came out!!!!!

Sounds like your seal was gone. How did the bearings look? Keep an eye on it for a while just to make sure you don't have any axle damage. I have that with mine. I have to change my bearings every year. So I went with new axle and stuff.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Lots of islands. A couple of them even had boat docks and had little park/picnic areas on them! That's pretty cool since any island I've ever seen otherwise was usually posted.

Sounds like a cool little area on the river. I love exploring tiny islands, great for a shore lunch and a quick break from being out in the wind/sun.

Sounds like the SS should be fine in there, keep an eye on the depth and tilt up the big motor. One major reason I love these aluminum hulls is the shallow draft.

Did you catch any fish?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

No I didn't, really wasn't too serious of fishing with my son there and I just had crank baits. He enjoyed casting his scooby doo rod/reel. When the SS is done I hope to fish the larger lake and have a rod with a nightcrawler on it so I can just about guarantee a catfish.

bananaboater

Ensign
Status
Not open for further replies.