18 hp Briggs opposed twin

rwise

Captain
Re: 18 hp Briggs opposed twin

Ok I will give that a go through and see what it looks like! Maybe I can get to it monday after work. Open it up and clean it out (if it looks cleanable) Thanx

rwise

Captain

Pulled out the crankcase breather valve, all seems fine. I can pull air through it but cannot blow back, the valve closes and opens freely. Gapped the new plugs at .030 and they are in. Any more ideas before I start it, may be a few days before I try to run it I still have to find/get a spindle for the deck (broke one last time out)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Check out agrisupplyco.com for the spindle. Put in the sears part number in the search window and it should come up with a spindle for less than half the sears price. I ordered one from them and it fits right and works right. Also, good time to change the belt and clean out the enclosed belt drive on the mower deck (if it has it). <br /><br />Someone here gave me that link earlier when I needed parts for my sears (Was it OneMoreCast?). Quick shipping. Good prices.

rwise

Captain

I'll check them out, but I picked it up for $23 here in town. Never now when you'll need another part though, thanx for the info.

rwise

Captain

Ok so I tried it last night, it would not start at all with the "easy start" plugs. Maybe I got a bad set, one of them would not spark at all the other was week at best. Put the H10 plugs back in and mowed the yard.<br /><br />Mark42 it would have been $10.44 for the same part from them, plus shipping. I will remember them next time I need something.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Rwise, <br /><br />I'm not sure what ignition system is on your year/model, but it might be worth replacing the coils, wires and timing/pickup module. It sounds like you have all the fuel, but weak spark is as bad or worse than no spark. It blows out easy under adverse conditions. Check out the cost of parts and see if its worth the gamble. One thing that will help you decide is test the strength of the spark when it won't run by having it jump larger and larger gaps until it won't jump the gap. Should easily jump 1/2" gap. The more orange the color, the weaker the spark. Color should be white/blue to be healthy.<br /><br />Another test you could try is to jump the motor off your car or truck. Place the jumper cable right on the starter terminals to get max amperage and voltage to the starter to spin the motor faster. Faster it spins, the stronger the spark (to a point). If it starts when hot by this method, then you can be pretty sure the problem is with the coils or ignition. Don't forget to have the key on, clutch depressed, etc as usual.

rwise

Captain

I'm on the third coil now, the pickup is built into the coil. It was my first thought as to the problem, put the second coil on and it would not start, ok, bad coil. Get another from a running engine, still would not start, change plugs, bang! I do think the spark is week, I may try to gap the coil closer the the mag and see what happens. The magnet seem strong though I have thought of changing the flywheel to see if that would help. If I can use it tomorrow (I really need to get the other place mowed) then maybe after that I can look into it some more, if it wont run,,,,,,,,

dolluper

Captain

When you replaced the coil did you also replace the condenser,or does your model not have one,some Magnetron ing have condensers,these ones you can replace the module also by unsoldering wires.If you have a condensor replace it part#294628

rwise

Captain

no condenser on this one, I do have a parts list that shows more than one type of ignition. good idea though, man if it had points,,,,,,

rwise

Captain

for any that is interested, I found the problem to be the starter. Thought it turned the engine what I thought was good, the new one spins the hell out of it! Starts right up now.

dolluper

Captain

What the solonoid was allowing the voltage to go full force and cooking the coils interesting,if you continue to cook coils you might want to throw in a ballast resistor

speedwrench

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does your's have manual choke? Mine will not start without choke, hot or cold. I always thought it had something to do with the pluse fuel pump not pumping unless engine was running.<br />Anyway, choking works on mine.

rwise

Captain

the coils have nothing to do with the starter or voltage to the starter. All the coils I changed were not the problem.<br /><br />Yes it must be choked to start, its right there on the dash! It may well be with the fuel pump.<br /><br />Bottom line is it was turning to slow to make spark enuf to start! It runs now, now if the rain would stop, (no keep raining) I could mow the yard aaaa hey meadow. :rolleyes:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I read an article by a Briggs engineer where he said that 18hp opposed twin is one of the best twins they ever made. A truley long life, torquey, work horse engine. <br /><br />Production was stopped in favor of of a more compact V configuration and overhead valves.<br /><br />I change the oil a few times a season. Mine is about 13 years old and still running strong.

dolluper

Captain

Originally posted by rwise:<br /> model 422707<br />type 1522 01<br />code 9303055B<br /><br />The deal is it runs great until you shut it off. I can run it all day (as long as the gas holds out), turn it off and it will not restart! Pull the plugs and they have spark, I have changed the coil twice. Put a new set of plugs (briggs and straton) in it and it will start right up and run good until it is shut off, then it needs another new set of plugs. I have started using H10 plugs and they last about 4-6 starts, then needs a new set.<br />Thanx Richard
Guess I can't read right but that doesn't matter I guess when all your trying to do is help ,replaced coils twice caught my attention,guess you replaced them without even testing them I see now

rwise

Captain

dolluper<br />I did not test them, my brother had some engines that were running when pulled and gave me the coils! The pickup is in the coil also, no points, condenser etc. At that price it was just a troubleshooting step. Also on this engine no power goes to the coils, spark plug wire and kill circuit only. It must have been turning just fast enuf while cold to make just enuf spark to start, then when warmed up the starter just did not turn it fast enuf to bounce off again. By the time I put in another set of plugs it must have cooled enuf to start again. And I do appreciate all thoughts! :) <br /><br />Mark42<br />It is a good running engine (now that it starts every time) and plenty of torque. Now if I can just keep it running for the summer :rolleyes: ;) :D

sloopy

Commander

have you tried shutting it down by shutting off the fuel supply to the engine?

rwise

Captain

Sloopy, there is no shut off on the fuel tank, I promice it was the starter!