175 evinrude still wont run right.

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice
Evinrude carbed powerhead on a ficht lower unit. Once ran great then got sluggish on holeshot.I have cleaned my carbs , changed the fuel bulb and spark plugs. This motor has been going downhill slowly but surely, checked linkages and set them to book specs. Motor would crank and idle, you can rev it up but when you give the hot foot for a hole shot the engine dies. If you let it come up on plane slowly to about 2100 rpm it will take off and run normally (great top end speed). Now it wont crank at all. I have pals in my bass club with carbed engines with the same problem and we are looking for answers. We were wondering about the new ethanol in our gas? We have to buy gas with up to 10 % posted on the pump. P.S my weed eater started having the same problems and I had to replace it with a new one. I am also hearing of auto and lawnmower problems. Has anyone else heard of this anywhere and if so can anything be done. Completely lost....Darren Mac

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 175 evinrude still wont run right.

Most engines will burn the 10% alky just fine, manufacturers jet outboards fat enough to prevent burning pistons that the percentage of alcohol doesn't seem to be a big problem in overall jetting..

The greatest problem is the water in with the alcohol causing corrosion, dirtying the carbs. Dirty carbs, especially dirty idle air jets, richen the mixture, cause spark plug fouling. Older carbs with adjustable idle jets go slightly lean on the idle mixture, on rapid throttle opening this can cause hesitation, bogging, a lean miss or cough, or stalling and dying.

Alcohol in the fuel will degrade older fuel lines and primer bulbs.

Clean and adjust your carbs, replace fuel lines and primer bulb with 'alcohol compatable' material.

darren mac

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 175 evinrude still wont run right.

Thanks Charlie B,
How should my needle valves be set 4,5,or 6 turns out ? I thoroughly cleaned the carbs by taking them completely apart and using carb cleaner and compressed air. They had a little varnish here and there and the cone shaped fuel filter had some black substance, I took as oil in it . But over all I did not think that the carbs were very dirty. Maybe I'm wrong though. I did not go into the fuel module I think it is called . It is with the fuel pump and the VRO. I think it is similar to a carb in it's construction. Should I try to clean it as well ? Thanks ...Darren Mac