175 Evinrude steering arm

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not sure there is any answer to this other than just replace it, but I'm interested in any comments from the "gray beards".<br />Saturday (a long way from home) the steering arm shaft sheared completely at the lower pivot point. I noticed the motor was rocking around much more than the boat, and further investigation revealed that the motor was only attached by the top two bolts into the rubber mount. The lower mounting point was held captive by the shift shaft which runs through the center of the steering arm, but was free to move an inch or so. <br />I've located a replacement (used) steering arm, but I'm wondering if there is any thing else I need to be aware of while the motor is torn down to replace the steering arm.<br />Bill........

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 175 Evinrude steering arm

Are you talking about the point where the pivot shaft attaches to the casting that in turn, bolts up to the lower motor mounts. If the engine was running that loose, I would expect some damage to to that casting also. If it were me, I would want to take a look at the upper motor mounts as well. I am trying to picture how an engine ruuning that loose would not show up because of a very sguirrelly handling boat. Has the engine in the past had a hard impact, or is the prop badly damaged, or worn?

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

R.Johnson, Yes that's the point. That casting does not appear to have any damage. The top motor mount may indeed be damaged, however I have not yet disassembled it from the steering arm to see.<br />The boat did begin to handle differently, not badly or sguirrely but slightly more loosely on the way out. I at first thought the steering rack was becoming loose, but that seems to be ok. The history of the motor is unknown as I purchased the boat, motor, and trailer as a "basket case" project. I repaired/rebuilt most everything on the motor (it was frozen solid) except the steering assembly/lower exhaust housing and lower unit; it looks like I should have done that as well. The prop showed typical wear, but nothing to indicate a severe impact. <br />When I get the steering shaft apart I'll be able to see if it was a corrosion issue, or due to impact. So far I've put about 5 or 6 hours on the repaired/rebuilt boat/motor combo and aside from this problem it's performed well.<br />Bill.....

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Sounds like you have a good handle on the problem already. Just look over everthing carefully as you go. My concern would be a safety issue.

angus63

Captain

Check ebay under "evinrude 175" search. Saw one there yesterday, 1988 model I believe. Plus a whole bunch of other parts from the same motor. What year/model is yours??<br />Good luck

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks R.Johnson.<br />angus63, The motor apears to be a composite of parts. The model on the stern bracket indicates a 1979 model. The power head is a 1978. Not sure about the lower unit. In all probability it's a '79 with a '78 powerhead. I've found a used steering tube assy. and have just picked it up. I'll purchase a couple of new seals and check the thrust washers when I get it apart.<br />Thanks all for your input. The next step is to locate a hoist and see what it's going to take to get it apart.<br />Bill...

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I think I'm ready to tackle this. I've purchased the steering arm, seals, a 1&13/16th socket, and the chain, bolts etc. to lift the motor off the steering assembly. <br />Does any one have any more comments before this begins to happen?<br />Bill.....