16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

I have a lincoln 110 wire feed welder and it welds better with flux core wire than the gas miller that I had at the miffler shop. The lincoln is pretty cheap and available at home depot.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I have a Lincoln 175 230 volt with gas on it, love it. I have welded everything from 20ga to 3/8" with it. I also have a Hobart 120 volt 120 set up for flux core. It does a nice job up to about 3/16". I bought it because I wanted something that was portable. The Lincoln has infinitely adjustable wire speed and power, a very nice feature. Duty cycle is also important, but I doubt that will be much of an issue for what you would be doing.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Good thing I put the heater in tonight.....needed it! I think its going to be 12 later tonight....but it was toasty in the shop! I worked on the seating based on the ideas David K and I came up with last night. I ended up building a cardboard mock up of one of the back seats and the ice chest...naturally I left my camera at the office. I will take some shots tomorrow and let you guys tell me what you think.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey guy's,
Thanks for the information on the welders. I'll be checking on them.
Did I ever tell you that I love new tools. :p
archbuilder
Make sure we get pic's.
I hate that all I can do right now is read and type. I want to be working on the boat. :mad:
Oh well.
Keep it rolling guys.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Bob maybe you should build a boat ina bottle to fill your nautical repair "fix" between trips home.:) Also what guy doesn't love new tools. I have mechanics tools, woodworking tools, body tools, and house tools. I am going to have to get a new hobby so I can buy another line of tools.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok so here is my cardboard miracle! The wood is a "seat and back".....some plywood and a 2x6.....I played with the seat height and back rest location / angle till I thought I was getting warm. David K had suggested putting the ice chest in the middle and having seats on both sides.....it was pretty tight with all the ice chest I tried, so I finally came to the conclusion that I might need to make a built in ice chest....ah yes yet another project, in for a penny in for a pound!

IMG_2704.jpg

I figured out how wide the ice chest could be....then built a cardboard box to mock it up....I also added the ski pylon. After that I spent about 30 minutes cutting out the "seat" and mocking it up. I have some changes I want to do to the ice chest and seat....should get to that this weekend. Let me know if you have any thoughts!

IMG_2709.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
I thank I can see what your working toward and I think it looks pretty cool.
I really like the way the seat goes above the transom. can't wait to see it develop.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Very nice setup, How will you support the skipost? Is the cooler and side of the boat at the right height for armrests?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Very nice setup, How will you support the skipost? Is the cooler and side of the boat at the right height for armrests?

The side of the boat and the top of the cooler work well for arm rest....I have spent some time sitting in the mock up contemplating that issue. As for the ski pylon, it will have a couple of braces that kick back to the transom. I'm really glad I used the seacast at this point!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

one more thought to add to the mixture...where do the speakers go????

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

now the speakers, THAT is a good question...Im having the same dilemma!

Layout looks cool! should be comfy......

21" wide seats are pretty healthy....I thing the Wise brand and such are about 16" wide or thereabouts....
are you making / upholstering your own seats? either way it will be cool to see the results....

Rock ON! :D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I thought about adding speakers in the back, next to the seat facing forward.....but in this boat I can see them getting soaked! The ones in the front should be easier to figure out. As for the seats, I'm building the frame and having them covered. I was planning on just buying some, but I haven't found any that I really like. And of course with the built in ice chest I think it will be pretty slick. I blew my budget on this boat a long time ago! Might as well get it right!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Budget!!! what is a budget? oh yeah, I had one of them when I started. Dear I need to put a new floor in the boat it should be under $400. Now its well dear A new boat is at least $15,000 so it will be worth it. :rolleyes:

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Budget:confused: I told my wife it would cost around $400 to fix up the boat. LOL- I have $400 into the stove and fixing up the garage alone! I didn't even start buying materials for the boat yet:cool:

Archbuilder- I really like the seats and cooler built in. Maybe you can round over the front of the cooler so it is more sleek like the boat and not so pointy. Other than that it looks sweet!

I think I'm gonna make my own front to back seats when I get to that point too. Good idea doing it on your own- you can do it for a fraction of the cost and probably have a better quality seat too.

Mick

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Budget:confused: I told my wife it would cost around $400 to fix up the boat. LOL- I have $400 into the stove and fixing up the garage alone! I didn't even start buying materials for the boat yet:cool:

Archbuilder- I really like the seats and cooler built in. Maybe you can round over the front of the cooler so it is more sleek like the boat and not so pointy. Other than that it looks sweet!

I think I'm gonna make my own front to back seats when I get to that point too. Good idea doing it on your own- you can do it for a fraction of the cost and probably have a better quality seat too.

Mick

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=365820

If you look close you can see where I marked up the cooler....rounded corners and the front sloping back. I'm going to try to work on modifying that tonight. I'm also thinking about moving the ski pylon back, and drilling a hole through the front of the splash well for it.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Micks
if you want my old front to back seats they are yours. a little rough but it will give you patterns to copy. I am replacing them with captains chairs.

micks110

Archbuilder,
That's what I figured when I looked at the picture and the lines you had drawn- I didn't think you'd overlook that. That is going to be really cool looking when it's done. I think I read you were going to have them upholstered. Why don't you just do them yourself? If you could do what you did so far you could definitely put cushions and fabric on seats. I made a couple poker tables back in the day and any fabric store has exterior grade vinyl. It is pretty easy to stretch and staple.
Skibum.
I don't want to hack archbuilders post but if you could post some pics or pm me some pics that would be awesome! I was thinking of buying them but for the price I could build them for a fraction of the cost. But if I can redo yours that would be even better! Thanks a ton. I will wait to hear from you. You know what they say, "one mans junk is another mans treasure!" Thanks again and keep at it guys.
Mick

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I have pondered the upholstery thing....but I'm putting sewing up there with hanging wall paper.....there are just some things I don't want to tackle! I mentioned it to one of my friends the other day, and he made me a great offer. He owns a cleaners and linen company and has 3 seamstresses with heavy duty sewing machines. I'm going to get the foam and build the wood structure, then they are going to do the sewing in their down time.

According to the weatherman, its allegedly going to be warmer today (44), but who knows...looks cold out there right now....well I'm going to read some more threads the get motivated, then get after it!

micks110

I see where you are coming from with the sewing- I though you were just going to pull and staple. Yeh, I'd leave the sewing part to someone else too!
Get out there and get after it! I gotta wait till the wife comes home from shopping and the little guy is down for a nap.
Mick

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

archbuilder let yoiur friend know if yours come out good then you could bring him a constant supply of sewing projects from fellow Iboaters. I would love to pay "reasonable" prices for professional sewing and I am sure there are plent more like me.