16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

I picked up a Rulemate 750 GPH with an auto float switch. Nice little pump, you can leave it on auto or turn it on/off manually....yeah you might want one! :D You will be amazed at how much of the lake can end up in the boat with you!

The spedo is a Faria Chesapeake 60MPH unit. You will need a pito pick up on the back of the boat and some plastic tube for it. If you didn't get it, your boat guy should be able to hook you up.

Friscoboater

Captain

I just mounted a in dash depth finder and ran into the same issue with that gauge. I had to make adapters.

Not sure what you are going to do about the connections, but I soldered and heat shrunk all my connections.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
As always Miss Morgan looks great. Those gages really look nice too.
Can't wait to see her on the water.
Nice Job.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Arch, I had the same problem with all my fittings being white. I got a chrome plastic bilge drain fitting for about $6. I also got chrome splashwell drains. Those are much harder to find. I ordered 2 from amazon, 1 from each of 2 companys because each only had 1. well after ordering them I got an email back from one that it was backordered and they refunded my money. So after much searching I found another company had them and I ordered one. A week later another email saying they were backordered but they havent refunded my money so hopefully someday I will get the second one. The one fitting I have looks great, I just wish I could get the second one. I was going to get a stainless bilge drain but I found a "one way safety valve: which has a checkball to keep water out if you forget the plug. I figured it was worth the brass to have the piece of mind although noone ever forgets to put the plug in.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I did find a stainless one last night Skibum. I need to order it along with some other stuff today.

I also put together a wiring diagram this morning. I had to print, it....then scan it. For some reason acrobat is refusing to talk with AutoCAD this morning! Its a little hard to read, but hopefully you can see it.

WIREDIA.jpg

And my black ink cartage is almost out so the ground from the battery to the fuse block is barely visible. Here are a couple of questions for you guys.
  1. I have a ground on the fuse block that I was planning on connecting everything too. I also have a ground on the tach wiring harness. I'm thinking about ignoring the tach ground, and just grounding everything back to the fuse block. That seems like a more direct route to the battery.
  2. I can't decide if I want the depth finder on the ignition switch. I have almost thought of switching it separate. That way I can still run the depth finder with the engine off. Of course there goes my spare switch. I really can't tell you why I would need it on when the ignition is off either.
  3. I put the X-M and radio on a master switch. That way I can listen to tunes when the ignition is off.
  4. There are some inline fuses in Max, I'm assuming one of them is for the ignition circuit. I need to check that on the wiring diagram. Does anyone know? Otherwise I might want to fuse it before it goes to the instruments.

My switches also have lights, but I didn't show them wired...I just indicated that with the "to power lights in switches". I thought that would get pretty confusing. Switching notes: "M" is for momentary and "3" is for 3-way.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

So I'm sitting here looking at this diagram....I think I'm going to add buss bars to the "Running light" circuit and the "radio circuit". Both of those circuits have items that aren't necessary close to each other. I figure I could put the busses next to the fuse block. Run power from the switch, to the buss, then distribute it in different directions. On the radio switch, that would allow me to add an amp pretty easy later (depending on the draw). I need to crunch some numbers and figure out the total loading to size the wire to the fuse block. Ohm's law is a little fuzzy right now.....think its volts / watts = amps.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I didn't understand a word you said in those last two posts:eek: I'm definitely not an electrician!

Looks great though!

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the boat is looking good. It looks great with the colors, and the gauges are adding to it nicely.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

you might want to put an isolator on your tach, i've seen some tachs read kinda funny from too much inline fluctuations or bleed over from the signal wire or ground....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I had to learn it in architecture school Mick....in one ear, out the other! I didn't get anything else done today, just worked in the yard. I can see that getting in the way....I need to get Miss Morgan wrapped up! Well tomorrow I will order parts, then hope things get delivered next week!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey arch,
Man don't make me use my brain this time of day. (Amps=watts/volts).
Just what I need another law.:p
The drawing looked pretty good. Why don't you put your depth gage on the master switch too.
Just a thought.
Bob

Hghvoltage

Seaman

Arch,
Just a couple of suggestions about the wiring.
1) Take the tach ground all the way back to Max. You will get less noise that way and have a more stable reading on your tach.
2) DC is way less forgiving than AC voltages, I wouldn't run anything less that 14 gauge wire from a power/fuse to and of the devices. #14 is good to about 15amps without having to worry about load and heating issues.

These are just suggestions from and electrician do with them what you will.

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

she looks sweet arch, every time I look I like it more and more.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the info high voltage. I'm going to work on the calcs tonight.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Ok I did a little calculating on the wire sizes tonight. I found this handy wire size calculator. There is also a lot of other useful information. http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/WireSizeCalc.html

Here is what I came up with. I used a maxim of a 5% voltage drop. I also ran the calcs using a higher load that the actual load. The Master circuit (from the battery to the fuse block) wire seems a little large. I didn't take any diversity into account, just based it on the total load. I would have to turn on everything for that to take place plus add about another 15 amps.

wiresizechart.jpg

It looks like, as High Voltage predicted, most of its 14 ga. For simplicity I will probably wire all of it with 14 ga. I talked with the guy at the parts store today and they can order 100' rolls in whatever colors I want. I'm not going to use the tinned wire...that seems like overkill on a weekend boat on fresh water. I'm going to figure out how much I need so I can get it ordered. I ordered some of the misc. parts I need for wiring today. I should be able to make a big dent in it next weekend....then back to waiting on the rub rail....once I have that I can hang Max! Seats should be done right after that!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I have been thinking a little about color coding the hot wires. I know there are boating standards...but I'm making up my own! :D Here is what I have so far:

• Black: All ground wires
  • Blue: Sending unit wires
  • Yellow: Running lights
  • Pink: Instrument lights
  • White: Ignition circuit
  • Green: Interior lights
  • Red: Misc power, radio, bilge pump, etc

I added up the lengths, and they aren't as long as I thought. Looks like I will only need around 300'. I can get 40' rolls also, so I think everything other than black I can do off the 40' rolls. Looks like I will need about a zillion wire connectors for hooking up wire to the instruments, fuse block, and switches.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Oh yeah I ordered a prop for Max today also. I went with a 19 pitch, aluminum. I figured I would start there, then move to a stainless once I'm comfortable with the pitch. This one will make a good spare to have.

Hghvoltage

Seaman

I just had to throw that out there to you, I was having nightmares of see/hearing about all that beautiful work you've done burn up.
You've done an amazing job with Miss Morgan.