16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Loved it man. Keep them coming. What camera did you get?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Its a cannon fs200. I have had really good luck with their still cameras at the office, so I thought I would try this one. I'm really happy with it so far other than the instruction manual.....or lack there of!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Skibum any word on the gelcoat? I'm really interested in seeing it go on!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

The gelcoat will be here friday according to UPS tracking. I plan to spray it saturday if all goes well. I am getting the spraygun tomorrow and I will try spraying some of the white I have thru it to see how it works. If I cant fet a good spray pattern I will order some patchaid tomorrow and hope it can get here quick.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Archbuilder- Nice video!
Did you think about putting in a permanent gas tank with a filler up cap on the top or side of the boat. Or maybe moving a permanent gas tank up under the bow? That way you don't have to mess with the seats every time you have to fill up. Not to mention all the time it would save you in making something that would enable the seats to be fold down.
Was just wandering...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I looked at the built in tank, but I couldn't find a stock one that would fit....plus they cost quite a bit. I may look at having a custom one built down the road. I don't want to move it to the bow because it would change the boat center of gravity....that might not be good at 50 mph!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

My built in tank sits right where your tanks are and had a filler on the side of the cap which I am moving to the top so it will be easier to add oil. It is much easier to fill the tank but you dont have to take the boat to the gas station to fill it either, and for longer trips you can just take more tanks.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

The tanks I was looking at were in the 18 gallon range....finding one with the filler neck in the right spot was the issue.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
I have seen a large variety of used aluminum tanks on cl really cheap. My tank has a short filler neck and the a hose to the outside of the cap. I thank it would be worth your while to search.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

It doesnt really matter where the filler is because you can drill a hole wherever you want in the cap. My filler hose is about 2 feet long and can flex to most anywhere on that side of the boat I want.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Arch

glad you figured out the youtube thing ...pretty cool eh! sweet video...always fun to see and hear more than just the text and pix posted on iboats..thanks for sharing :D

well for my version of your seat dilemma, you would have to start over and toss what ya got started with (back seat base) re-use some of the wood)

this would make for dual access.......with the bottom backside part of the seat non movable....that makes for the capability to open either bottom or seat back ay anytime and should be fairly strong etc....
the back piece of wood in the storage bin area would be 1/2 overlapped onto the fixed part of the top of the seat, so when the seat lid is shut is has a bit of support along the length......see detail pix

ps it wasnt a very good drawing, not to scale etc, but I woul make it so the non moveable seat crossmember part would go just past the extent of teh seat back foam etc

ArchbuilderSeat1.jpg

ArchbuilderSeat2.jpg

scamoot

Cadet
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore "Miss Morgan"

Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore "Miss Morgan"

I got my boat about 6 months ago the same way off craigslist except mine came with a motor but no trailer, which i found on craiglist for $150 the same week...isn't it amazing what we find on craigslist!!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey guys thanks for all the thoughts! Tonight I decided that the back seat needed to be designed with consideration to the front seats (plus the "technical issues"), which I haven't ordered yet....and I need to pick colors for them, which in turn is based on the paint colors....oh and carpet colors, waiting on samples for the carpet.....and since I was looking at using a large metal flake, that narrowed down my choices for the red and silver to two flakes.....and whatever base color I picked to go under them. That is also a VERY labor intense project in its self. I also have a nice weekend coming up, so I think I may flip the boat and get back to the painting.....if the weather holds I could have paint on the bottom pretty quick..and while I'm preping all the samples should show up. I also thought, why am I trying to copy the original gel coat color / flake? My life would be a lot easier if I went to an automotive sized flake (and cheaper)......I would also have more colors to pick from....so what do you guys think about a small flake, with a pearl finish?

And by the way Vegas, thank you very much for taking the time to put together the drawings of your ideas! I have been thinking about something similar, but the hinges become somewhat problematic with some of the clearances. I will probably look at the built in tank, but I figure for now I need to focus my $$ on getting it back on the water!

Any one feel like flipping a boat, lol! :D

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Have you sprayed automotive paint? I have sprayed solid color but am afraid of pearl and metal flake because of the difficulty in spraying them. Metal flake wants to settle in the spray gun so you have to constantly stir it as well as have perfect spray paterns or you will end up with stripes of heavy and light flake. Pearl is pretty much the same problems. They make spray guns with a stiring system built into the cup but they are very very expensive. Just want to make sure you know the problems you can run into. If you can pull it off you will have a great looking boat tho

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I worked in a body shop for 4 years, so that's not an issue.....I have more experience with a gun than I really want!

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Arch, when you say small flake with a pearl finish, do you mean pearl powder added to the clear, or micro flake and pearl mixed?? or just micro flake?

you could always make it easier on yourself and go with a plain white on bottom and color up top 2/3rds waterline and above etc....

its too bad its alot work to re-gel coat.......soooo much sanding and polishing! at-least clear coat is easier to sand and polish up

===========

Don't forget some kind of ventilation for the fuel tank area especially if you decide to keep the (2) 8 gal tanks etc....

========

no prob on the mock up....I enjoy that sort of thinig, it'd be a lot easier if I had a cad program!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is a quick idea on the stripe....I'll try to post some more on the paint selections:

Neschercopy.jpg

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

The picture looks great but you forgot to put seats in it. How am I suppost to imagine myself sitting in it making cool boat noises If I have nowhere to sit. :D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
That color combo really looks good. I wish the actual painting was that easy.

SKIBUM1M
Just set on a bucket and make all the noises, ya want. :D
Bob

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a really cool color scheme. It even looks fast. Great job on the visual.