16' aluminum boat transom repair

1@dam12

Recruit
I recently got a used 16' aluminum Bayrunner (1987) that is in need of some restoration
I was prepared to replace the wood decks, and rewire, but the hole repair and transom board replacement
is causing some questions. I plan on using this for saltwater fishing and crabbing

I attached some pictures (hopefully) of the backside of the stern, the boat itself and the transom cap and well.

-It looks like the transom cap is actually a shelf and wont come off unless it is cut off and rivets popped,
is that right. If thats the case it doesnt sound like an easy fix.

-If I can get the wood out, I planned on using a sealed laminate of marine grade plywood, any issues with that?

-Will JB weld work to fill the holes on the backside (after I pull the screws), or should I just have a weld shop fix the holes

Any input would be helpfull. I am leaning toward having a weld shop do it if I have to cut the shelf off, since it will need
to be reattached anyway.

Attachments

• boat 1.jpg
    boat 1.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • epoxy covers.JPG
    epoxy covers.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 0
  • transom back side.JPG
    transom back side.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • transom board.JPG
    transom board.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 0

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: 16' aluminum boat transom repair

It kind of looks as if the splashwell is welded into place and will need to be cut. As far as changing the wood itself, it isn't complicated I would order Epoxy resin from US Composites, Clark Craft, or the best is West Systems.

Marine Grade ply is the best, Arauco Ply is a 2nd Runner up and Plain old Exterior Grade ply is barely acceptable.

To seal the holes in mine, I just installed new Stainless steel bolts slathered with 5200.

A good welder will be fine a bad welder will weaken the aluminum transom. Unfortunately there is no way around having the splashwell rewelded into place. Unless it is just connected over the gunnells and all you have to do is drill the rivets, if that is the case there really is nothing to drilling the rivets.

If you have any questions you have come to the absolute best boating forum on the net and someone way more knowledgeable than me will be along shortly to further help you.

Example of bolt reinstall.

Since this boat is saltwater use you absolutely positively must use stainless steel bolts and fasteners.

1@dam12

Recruit
Re: 16' aluminum boat transom repair

Thanks for the reply,

I kind of figured I would have to cut, but thats not the end of the world. Hopefully someone with the same
rig has done it without cutting.

I will replace all the necessary screws and bolts with ss.