15hp johnson hardly any water coming out peehole

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 15hp johnson hardly any water coming out peehole

Does this model have a tell-tale? If so, you do have an issue and the motor is gonna overheat.

Several possibilities:
1 impeller is shot
2 impeller is slipping
3 cooling passages are clogged
4 grommet was pinched when the LU/water tube was inserted
5 tell tale tube is plugged

Is the motor overheating?

MAS

Rick.

Captain

Thanks for the video. A picture is worth a thousand words. After five minutes of idle can you hold your hand on the top of the head for three seconds? If you can't your motor is overheating. You can push some weed eater sting up the tell tale and see if there is a blockage in that port. If you don't know the history of the motor it's always a good idea to just replace the impeller no matter what. They do deteriorate. When you have the leg off you will be able to see if the grommet the water tube fits into on the top of the water pump has been pinched by improper alignment of the water tube during assembly. If not, I always hook a water hose to the tube and let it run for a while just to clear things and give it a good flush. One last thing to check, the water inlet screen on the bottom of the leg. Make sure to check and see it isn't plugged. If in doubt hook up a water muff to it and flush,flush,flush. Once you try all that let us know what you find. You should have a good stream at idle and stronger as the revs go up. Rick.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Change the pump, it is many times cheaper and easier than anything not changing it would hurt.

It is pretty easy and something you should know how to do.

The tell tale is just a take off from the water jacket and is only suppose to show water flow to the engine so if it is peeing it is getting water and could simply be plugged, mine gets a peice of something in it now and then, just clean out the orifice and it is fine.

But I would change the pump then you know for sure it is good maybe the thermostat too, can't hurt.

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sorry it took so long to reply i have been out fishin.
it does not seem like it overheats i left it running for a good 5-10 minutes and it did die but i was able to start it back up.
i put my hand all over the engine when it died and it did not seem too warm at all i could keep my hand on it.
it was also really hard to get started the first time i tested it but the throttle was also stuck open on it at first and the mixture and idle adjustments were off

Rick.

Captain

Starting will likely get easier as you get to know your engine better. Some motors like you to hold your tongue to the left some to the right. Glad to hear your running but you should still change the impeller unless you know it's less than a couple of years old. Rick.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

for those motors without a tale tell, you are not getting bad flow, for idle. that area is the exhaust relief port, for when the motor is idleing. you should be getting drops or mist, which it looked like you were getting. you will get a little more when running faster, but most of the water mixes with the exhaust, and exits under water, just above the prop, or thru the prop, on thru hub motors.

if you do not know when the impeller was changed, it would be good insurance, to do a precautionary change.

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

alright thanks for all the help.
i do not know when the impeller was changed so i will go ahead and change it out.