15hp Johnson Been Sitting

O'Riley

Seaman
Bought this new, 1987 15hp. Haven't used it a lot and has been hanging in the garage for 7 years now, I want to get it going again.

I did read Awakening a sleeping outboard; by BoatBuoy but he is talking about 15 years. Also read an article by LeeRoy Wisner.

I'm thinking I'll order a water pump repair kit and install that. Do I need to order a gasket for the lower unit?

Next is the carburetor, I should clean it but was wondering if I can get it to start.....maybe run a little seafoam through it?

Anything else?

Thanks

raczekp1

Lieutenant
Re: 15hp Johnson Been Sitting

only water pump impeler,
carb soak in carb cleaner, and blow with compresed air,
install new fuel lines

Beek14

Petty Officer 1st Class

A carburetor sitting for 7 years could have dried out or cracked gaskets depending upon how it was last run. Wouldn't be a bad idea to put a new gasket kit in it.

O'Riley

Seaman

Ordered a repair manual and 1 year of Seloc online. I'm not sure I'm up to the carburetor rebuild.

Years ago I had a problem....

OldTube.jpg

Must be this flex tube....

FlexTube.jpg

I'm not sure if I fixed that or the dealer did. :confused:

Then from Selco....

Since 1983 Johnson/Evinrude states that carburetor parts should NOT be submerged in carburetor cleaner, as has been the practice since carburetors were invented. Their approved procedure is to place the parts in a shallow tray and then spray them with an aerosol carburetor cleaner.

So, do you soak them or not?

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

A safer product for the newer plastic type carbs is OMC Engine Tuner, soaking them in it will not harm them at all. I let the carb soak overnight, blast orifeces/passages out with aerosol carb cleaner, then wash with soapy water, finally blast dry with compressed air.

Sitting for 7 years or 15 years is really the same thing. Everything is dry rotted by then.

First things first. Check the compression before putting any money into her. If all is well, change the impeller and gear oil. Clean the carb, regrease the zerks, inspect the ignition system and test for spark.

Let us know what you find.

O'Riley

Seaman

Alright, OMC Engine Tuner it is.

Thanks very much.

O'Riley

Seaman

Curiosity got the best of me so I changed the lower unit oil, checked the plugs and put new gas in the tank. Motor started on the fourth pull and purred like a kitten.:)

Only problem was the short hose going to the pee hole, it was falling apart....

PeeHole.jpg

PeeHose.jpg

Shouldn't be hard to replace that if I can get those wires out of the way.

I really want to install the water pump kit so a couple questions:

1) Repair manual says the water pump bolts will probably break off. Is this the case using in fresh water vs salt?

2) Johnson Sealant Type M for the pump plate. Is there something similar I could get at an auto parts store that would work?

3) Johnson sealant for water pump bolts, same question as 2.

Thanks to D. Hayes for the motor stand directions. I did have to remove the top 2x6 to lower the motor a bit.

MotorStand.jpg

Thanks!

jasper60103

Commander

Nice motor.
I've done a couple water pumps on 80's motors and
haven't broke a bolt yet. No salt is one nice thing
we can say about Minnesota.
I've used Permatex? Aviation Form-A-Gasket? No. 3 Sealant
for the pump plate and bolts.
It should be available at auto part stores.

O'Riley

Seaman

No Aviation 3 so I bought Carquest Blue gasketing silicone. Package says stays flexible, waterproof and tough. Only caution is don't use on head gaskets or parts in contact with gasoline.

This'll work???

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I would not use silicone anywhere on an outboard myself.

I would put nothing before using silicone.

O'Riley

Seaman

Really? Okay, I guess I'll return this and take a drive to the dealer and do it right the first time.

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

NAPA should have a gasket sealing compound as well. I like the cans with the brush built into the lid.

O'Riley

Seaman

Happy to say I installed the water pump kit without a hitch, well, the driveshaft almost came out a couple times.

Went to the dealer for the type M sealant, he asked what I was doing. I'll sell you a big tube for about 30 bucks but you don't need it, put it together dry. Hmmm.....okay.

Bolts came out no problem, still looking like new. Impeller still soft and pliable as the new one I put in. I have to conclude after reading my Selco book that salt water is much harder on these motors than fresh water. Closest I get to salt water is when I boil potatoes. :)

Impeller.jpg

Seems like a pretty simple job after you've done it the first time.

Thanks everyone! I think I'll wait on the gas lines till this fall, they look pretty good yet.

toofuss

Cadet

You remember what your telltale line was like. I would do the gas lines