150hp mercury starting proplem

Dukedog

Captain
Re: 150hp mercury starting proplem

Just re-read your first post and finally realized you have the a 2001. Disreguard everything I suggested. I'm "old school" and know nothing about all the new fangled electronics they use other than the fact of being high dollar parts..........D

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

So far we have been ASSUMING that the cyl's are getting fuel.

It IS possible to ether flood a motor and NOT get even a fart out of it.

Pull the plugs, again, are they wet with GASOLINE? Smell them, dry them off, pump up the primer and crank it again. Once again pull the plugs, are they wet with fuel?

If yes, then rig your timing light and check timing.

If NO, then pull the fuel line from the carb's and start checking fuel supply.

vic5758

Cadet

just came home from work heading to boat now have spark plug tester and will check spark and if it's ok i will check fuel again....

vic5758

Cadet

well i just came back from checking the spark on my boat WITH TESTER set at 7/16 and to my amazement not one coil past the test WEAK SPARK so i adjusted tester it barely jumps 1/8 .......

SO GUYS WHERE DO I GO FROM HERE.......

j_martin

Admiral

Now disconnect the kill wires from the top switchbox and see if 3 of them pick up. If so, troubleshoot the kill circuit like I said before. (eliminate kill circuit as culprit)

If that doesn't pick em up, try disconnecting the two yellow wires from the rectifier or voltage regulator. Be sure to tape them off, they are hot any time the flywheel is turning. (eliminate rectifier short as culprit)

If that doesn't pick up the spark, then you need to check the stator output with a DVA.

Just had a thought. It wouldn't surprise me if it's the stator. Maybe the mount screws are a bit loose and the shock of the rock made it contact the flywheel. Just a theoretical possibliity.

At this point, keep in mind that systematic diagnosis is the surest way to limit the cost of parts.

hope it helps
John

Karl_Childers

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Maybe you threw a magnet from under the flywheel? Just a wild guess.

Dukedog

Captain

John, there are NO switch boxes and everything is plug in on that year motor.........D

vic5758

Cadet

hey john d is right there isn't a switch box (2001 saltwater 150hp) and the only black/yellow wire i see is on the coil harness....

we can also rule out starter because i used the one from the engine that is running and same result.....

j_martin

Admiral

hey john d is right there isn't a switch box (2001 saltwater 150hp) and the only black/yellow wire i see is on the coil harness....

we can also rule out starter because i used the one from the engine that is running and same result.....

"Switch Box" is the term used for the ignition modules. The black/yellow wire on the second terminal from the left, top row,of both switch boxes is the kill wiring I'm describing.

If you don't know the nomenclature, don't argue with me.:rolleyes:

hope it helps
John

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If the coils are the CDI Modules with the flat 4 pin connector then the stator has 6 separate windings, one per coil. I seriously doubt if all sets developed a problem at the same time unless the flywheel magnet(s) came loose and contacted the stator. Either way, the flywheel must come off, look for loose magnet and/or contact marks on the stator.

j_martin

Admiral

If the coils are the CDI Modules with the flat 4 pin connector then the stator has 6 separate windings, one per coil. I seriously doubt if all sets developed a problem at the same time unless the flywheel magnet(s) came loose and contacted the stator. Either way, the flywheel must come off, look for loose magnet and/or contact marks on the stator.

What the hell are you talking about. It certainly ain't a merc v6, at least a carb'd 2.4 or 2.5L.

John

Dukedog

Captain

John, John, John. There are no switch boxes, no "second terminal to tha left" are what ever ya want ta call them on this motor....................

2000 and up went to all modular electronics..

vic5758

Cadet

mercury 2001 v6 carbureted 150hp

coils are cdm (capacitor discharge module) with flat 4 pin connector...

sorry for confusion

Dukedog

Captain

No confusion here :eek: ...............D

j_martin

Admiral

Sheesh, I've got diagrams for carb'd motors and even EFI motors that have the switchboxes, so I'm the one that's outa the lake.

What drives the cdm modules for timing, and what powers them?

On old school stuff, because the power coils share iron with the charge coils, a shorted rectifier can reduce the output of the charge coils. If you have 6 charge coils, I can see that even more likely, as there would be more shared iron.

I'm shooting from the theoretical hip (damned engineer in me) with little knowledge, so it's worth about what you paid for it.

John

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Yes, a Bad rectifier can cause a weak spark. Disconnect and retest spark.

The CDM (not CDI, D'oh!) system does have another common part, the kill wire.

Just before pulling the flywheel I suggest disconnecting the black W/yellow trace wire from the engine side of the harness, or unplug the cannon plug and use a remote starter button to trigger the starter relay and retest spark.

If then you have good spark start tracking down the partial short in the kill wire, lanyard switch faulty perhaps?