150 mariner problem

hotrodchard

Cadet
I have a 1985 150 hp mariner. The motor with ears on it starts and idles fine and will rev when throttle is pushed! Seems to run great! Now put the boat in the lake starts and idles ok tiny bit of gas runs ok give it a little more falls flat on its face!

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 150 mariner problem

My thoughts as well. It sounds as if the extra load has it starving for fuel. primer bulb?? fuel filter plugged?

hotrodchard

Cadet

The primer bulb is hard like it should be! I was told by friendly conversion to rebuild tthe fuel pump.before that i was going to rebuild carbs! Sounds like maybe i be better off doing both? The filter is a new filter.

Mi duckdown

Commander

It is just ME. When I pull carbs and open them up. Carb kit. 02.

Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same motor, 88 model, same symptoms. I did rebuild my fuel pump and replace the fuel filter which needed to be done (could see light through the diaphragm), but it didn't fix the issue. I plan to clean the carbs and replace the fuel lines and primer bulb. Let me know if you find a solution.

hotrodchard

Cadet

Will do slide! I have heard also it could be a impeller issue also! But like you i probably should go ahead and rebuild fuel pump but i have a feeling there is carb rebuild in my near future!:eek:

hotrodchard

Cadet

Will do slide! I have heard also it could be a impeller issue also! But like you i probably should go ahead and rebuild fuel pump but i have a feeling there is carb rebuild in my near future!:eek:

hotrodchard

Cadet

hotrodchard

Cadet

Will do slide! I have heard also it could be a impeller issue also! But like you i probably should go ahead and rebuild fuel pump but i have a feeling there is carb rebuild in my near future!

hotrodchard

Cadet

Just update on not much progress! I changed impeller rebuilt fuel pump drained old fuel and lower unit oil replaced with new! Motor still doing same thing!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Test for a hot blue arc at least 7/16 inch at each spark plug wire.

A dead cyl, or 2, will still sound fine and rev great while on the hose, then fail terribly once launched.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Compression test; check for good spark; clean carbs; Link & Sync - could not be advancing properly. If that doesn't do it, you're into checking all ignition /charging components.

hotrodchard

Cadet

I did spark test and no spark on number 2 cylinder.I swapped coils around and problem stayed on number 2 cylinder.So if I understand right I have a bad switch box!?

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Most probably, however, there is NO RETURN on electrical parts so it is always a great idea to test both the triggers and stator to be sure you do not have another problem.

Most likely the stator is good, you would have no spark if the low speed windings are bad.

You can test the trigger by switching the #1 and #2 trigger leads on the switchbox, retest for spark, if the no spark moves to #1 then the switchbox is bad.