150 force spitting fuel at 4K RPM and above

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey guys. Its been awhile since I have posted but have kind of been away on Army business. Last summer Force 01 and TMD gave me some great advice when I had some problems following a carb rebuild job. Several outings following the rebuild I noticed the boat not running right - losing some rpm and top end. I also noticed mist coming out of the top carb throat. Suspected reed valve or stuck throat. compression was at factory spec or above in all cylinders.<br /><br />Well this spring my father took the thing over to our trusted mechanic for a tune up. What a mess. He rebuilt all carbs and tuned up the engine and now it is spitting gas out of all carbs at above 4000 RPM. Runs great at low ranges. Reed valves were not replaced. Carbs all rebuilt and adjusted to spec. Again the fuel only comes out above 4000 RPM which leads me to susect reed valves or the same mistake made on the reassembly of all three carbs. Could it be something in the fuel delivery/filtering system from the tank to the carbs? <br /><br />If any of you have had similar problems I would appreciate any input you may have. I am so screwed right now. The mechanic says he is going to make some calls but is stumped as he cannot figure it out.<br /><br />ON another note: If it is screwed beyone economically reparable I can get a nice XR6 Merc installed for a pretty good price...well mommy doesnt think the price is so good though<br /><br />Thanks<br />Deerdog<br /><br />PS: F-5, glad to hear yours turned out fine.

rbruce63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 150 force spitting fuel at 4K RPM and above

What is the opinion of your trusted mechanic? <br /><br />On the one hand, I would imagine that if the motor overheated to the point of boiling the gasoline in the carburetor bowls it would not even reach the 4,000 rpm mark and keep pushing. <br /><br />On the other hand, at 4,000 the pumps are putting as much gasoline as the carburetor can process and probably the carburetor floats are the ones to blame. <br /><br />I would take it back to your mechanic an ask him to redo the carburetors specially the bowls that need a special adjustment and alignment.<br /><br />Also remember: Don't scrape it restore it!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I would check the spec on the float levels. I rebuilt my carb last year and set float at 13/32 inch like both the manual and the instructions that came with the carb said. Gas started coming out the main jet. I bought a new rebuild kit and now the instructions say to set float at 1/2 inch. I did this and now it works. The old needles did not have rubber on them and I wonder after they changed them if maybe they needed a tighter seat or the needle is a little shorter.

Deerdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies thus far. I will get holdof the mech and ask about the carb settings.