150 black max emergency help requested!

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, The 1987 Merc Black max 150 on my fire dept. pontoon, has a dead short. It blows the 20 amp fuse, near the starter solenoid. Red wire, that goes to pin 8 at the 8 pin connector. The mercury dealer just replaced the switch boxes, stator, and pick up. We need to use the boat tomorrow, and I told them(dealer) this. They gave me a known good ignition switch with an 8 pin, to attach to the engine harness to rule out the control harness. So, the fuse still blows, and i can not find an obvious cause. the red wire with the fuse goes to a splice, where it breaks off into 2 other red wires. one goes to what I believe is either a voltage reg. or rectifier, the other, goes to the hot side of the starter solenoid. Obviously this makes it hot at all times. when the key turned to on, or start, the fuse blows immediately. any help would be greatly appreciated!

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 150 black max emergency help requested!

Found a shorted solenoid. I was wrong about the trigger. It was not replaced. Just dunked it in the water. It is still running like garbage. Pulled the plugs, and only 3 are firing. I know we need to get a book, but can anyone let me know how to test the trigger? Again, thanks!

jigmister

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 150 black max emergency help requested!

you will need a volt meter and a DVA adapter to test the trigger, coils, switch boxes and stator.

Its really not hard at all once you do it once or twice.
Check out the CDI web site. there you will find a guide how to trouble shoot the componets with DVA.
http://issuu.com/cdielectronics/doc...t.xml&backgroundColor=000000&showFlipBtn=true

I have a 87 blackmax 175. Follow the CDI troubleshooting guide and you will find the problem the first time and save time and money.
Worked great for me.
hope this helps