15 hp merc bigfoot

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
just got this motor finally in trade for some work that i did but i notice that a little bit of oil is coming out down by the prop.
but anyhow i was wondering if this is normal or if not what i need to do to fix it.

the motor was stored on its side for a little bit from the previous owner and then put on the motor stand that it is on right now.

here is a pic:
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8056/sl371941.jpg
it is a 2000 15hp bigfoot ml

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 15 hp merc bigfoot

forgot to say that it was also put on its side on the way to my house from where i got it from but i had the tiller side up.
and it only seems to leak for a little bit after it is put right side up

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just started it for the first time and it started really easy, so i let it run for a minute then i turned it off.
i went back and started it again after a few minutes and it is making a loud squeeling noise
any suggestions?

here is a video of it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brpdn8kBWz0

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i did some searching on here and found a few posts with the same problem and they said to replace the bushing in the lower unit over the waterpump housing.
if i do this i would also want to get an impeller kit for it.
my question is where do i find that bushing for my motor i looked all over on here and couldnt find it also what gaskets would i need and impeller kit?

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i ended up trading the merc for a (what he said) 1998 tohatsu 15hp 2 stroke ls with electric start.
the motor is all painted and i cant find any serial numbers on it so im not sure if thats exactly what it is but i do know it is a tohatsu and it is 15 hp just dont know what year it is.
i did make sure to keep all the guys contact info and phone number, and i put a post on a local fishing/boating forum to make sure this guy didnt aquire this motor by having sticky fingers

from what i have found so far on the world wide net is that tohatsu didnt make a 15hp motor that year