140 oil filter

trebot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like to know a FRAM or PUROLATOR oil filter number for '86 140hp Mercruiser.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Same one that screws to the side of the 1963 153 cubic inch 4 cylinder (2.5 liter) or a 1963 and newer 196, 230, 250, or 292 cubic inch 6 cylinder

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... It's the standard Chevy oil filter base,.... part numbers change with the various capacities,...

I know Napa 1086 is the short filter(1/2 qt. I believe, maybe less) used for the Merc remote mounts, 'n is the same base as the block takes,....

If ya want a larger capacity ask yer parts guy for the number for whatever capacity ya want,.....

airshot

Rear Admiral
You may want to reconsider a Fram filter. I was a Fram person for many years until a couple years ago my company got a job for an independent testing agency.
We were sent 10 different oil filters from 10 manufacturers to cut open for display purposes. We had to do a cut away for people to see what was on the inside of an oil filter and see how they were made. We had about 7 top brands and 3 no name brand oil filters. After cutting them open and seeing how they were made and what they were made from made me think much differently about what brand of oil filters I now use. Without going into great detail, just let me say I no longer use any Fram filters. Most of the other brand name filters and even the 3 off brand filters were better constructed. Just my opinion and those in the shop where the filters were cut open.