14" V Bottom with a Honda 9.9. Problem.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 14" V Bottom with a Honda 9.9. Problem.

I think the prop is on backwards and the outer ring has been put on the wrong side if that's at all possible.
Take it easy on me it's only 8.30 AM here.

Boy it sure does look backwards. That might solve the hole digging but I don't think it will produce much speed.If it has a bit of a concave side it should be toward the back.( away from the boat)

If the prop does turn out to be backwards if it does plane when you fix it;you'll have to watch that it doesn't over rev.It may have a rev limiter.

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

So other than the 8 which I will try you guys are thinking ditch the wood
etc? Hate to do that I put a lot of work into it. Bummer it's my 12 year old sons boat he really likes it. How much does a 8" Pitch prop cost?

No. I'm thinking twin 9.9's. How fun would that be?

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

Loving the info guys, beeing a noob. "sure does look backwards" I don't get it how can that be. The guy I bought it from said it came off a sail boat, hit. The nail on the head. I enjoy building things, I've done this for the past 3 years we started out with a Colman crawdad, went to a 14' flat bottom and now this. Next year I'll sell this one and go bigger. Anyone second the 9 1/4 x 8? I'm open for suggestions, not knowing the RPMs I know it's hard but I can tell you by the sound it's not nearly winding out. Can I find a 9 1/4 x 8 here on the forum? Thanks again for all the help

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

9 1/4 x 8 is that a 3 blade? Searching the Internet

Bowser4x4

Seaman

One more possible: Are you actually trimming out? My 9.9 Honda has power tilt, not power trim. It will not move the motor up while the boat is moving...just does not have the force to push against the propeller force. When the boat is stopped, it works great to lift the lower unit out of the water. I have this on a 20' pontoon {hp restricted lake} so it is trying to move a brick thru the water, but when I purchased the motor two years ago {2008 motor], the dealer did tell me that the power tilt was only for lifting the lower unit out of the water when the boat is not underway. I have tried it under way, but while the actuator is making noise, the motor does not move.

Woof
Bowser

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

Same here. While under way their is no way to trim it up.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

The 9 1/4" diameter X 8" pitch is a four blade Solas prop, the smaller diameter and blade surface will let the engine get more into its rated power range and the higher pitch will give you more speed.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Loving the info guys, beeing a noob. "sure does look backwards" I don't get it how can that be. The guy I bought it from said it came off a sail boat, hit. The nail on the head. I enjoy building things, I've done this for the past 3 years we started out with a Colman crawdad, went to a 14' flat bottom and now this. Next year I'll sell this one and go bigger. Anyone second the 9 1/4 x 8? I'm open for suggestions, not knowing the RPMs I know it's hard but I can tell you by the sound it's not nearly winding out. Can I find a 9 1/4 x 8 here on the forum? Thanks again for all the help

On the sailboat the digging a hole effect wouldn't be so obvious as your not going to plane the boat.maybe he changed motors because the motor didn't push as he thought it should.
Don't worry about diameter when searching for a prop.Generally as pitch goes down diameter goes up in relation the the companies prop design.If the prop is intended for your motor the diameter will be fine.You do need a 4 blade for all the help you can get for getting on plane.If your prop can be reversed I think you will find a much more responsive
setup with more normal reaction to increased throttle.It may even plane but you will have to be aware of the rpm.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

By the looks of it I don't see how it can be reversed.

12a35c92.jpg

it all looks like one solid piece, as far as the hub goes.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

No. I'm thinking twin 9.9's. How fun would that be?

Yes twins are allways fun.I saw a native boat in some documentary with twin tiller 50 Hondas with a guy standing between running them.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Forget about the reversing thing, they are just messing with you. I'm figuring the 9 1/4 X 8 is going to put my motor in the 5600 rpm range, which is just about perfect. I'd have to say your boat is a bit heavier than mine, so probably in the low 5K range which is fine. If you happen to buy one and it dosn't work for you, let me know, I know someone that it will work for!:D

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

Why do people have to play games? Not cool! Thanks RicMic. That's the prop I'll go with, I'll let you know how she performs. Thanks again. :)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It sure looked to me like the blade curveature was wrong putting the convex side pushing on the water as far as I know any splined prop can be put on the shaft backwards the barrel may not line up right with the gearcase but the prop could slip onto the shaft.To me the part that is up in the last picture looks like correct side to be out.The flare of the exhaust snout looks normal. In the picture on the boat the exhaust snout looks odd just straight with no flare like most others I've ever seen.
Have you slipped it on to see if it fits.?

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

Their is only on way this prop can go on.

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

For sure, lets us know how that prop works out. For what its worth, I've handled hundreds of props since I rebuilt my first Johnson outboard in the 60's and I have NEVER seen a prop that could be INSTALLED backwards.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Looking forward to hearing your boat is up and planing.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

I got a 9 1/4 x 8 ordered. I'll let you guys know how it performs in a few days.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

Just kids playing games RicMic, the sad part is I didn't give it any thought. Call me stupid. lol. Looking forward to it also Steelpike, it's stressful trying to cross the lake and not have the speed to get out of peoples way. I have to sit
in one spot, make sure it's clear both ways then get on it and don't stop. Take care guys.

Fed

Commander

I think the prop is on backwards and the outer ring has been put on the wrong side if that's at all possible.
Take it easy on me it's only 8.30 AM here.
Sorry I posted that Wingnut it was only a passing observation on the cup of your prop in the very first pic you put up.
Trying to think outside the box for an answer to your problem that was going no where.
Kids? I wish... I'm about RicMic's vintage and have also been involved with boats for 40+ years.
I hope to see you post with a happy result too. Good luck.

wingnut1

Seaman Apprentice

Don't take it personal Fed not that you are. I'm just a small fish in a big pond looking for food. Any feedback is welcome, no tricks lol. You guys are great. :D.