14' Lund Renovation - questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - questions

Coming along nicely, that is the cleanest old boat I have ever seen.

Yes, etching primer is nasty stuff, worked at sign shop and I hated painting that primer but it is the only thing that works and as much as you have put into getting it to here I am sure you don't want to redo it it anythime soon.

that should take paint really well.

Have you taken your wife out to dinner yet?

She buys you a boat and parts for it, quite a gal you have there.

Good job so far, keep it coming.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Okay...excellent work and pix. Use a self-etching primer and then do the paint with your choice of topsides paints. I used the roll-n-tip method on the Texas Maid runabout I'm working on...came out much better than I expected, given my clumsiness and sometimes limited skills & space. You can see it before/after at www.acmeoutboards.com
Good luck, that's gonna be a nice rig...when it's done be sure and take your gal for a romantic moonlight summer cruise.

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - prime time

Re: 14' Lund Renovation - prime time

Well...the splashwell isn't finished yet...I still have the vertical wall to fabricate and install. The transom was pretty bent so I wanted to give it a bit more structure and the cavity the wood slides into is only an inch deep.

I have to admit that I am lucky to have a wife that supports this little adventure...she's pretty excited to see it come together.

As far as paint, I'm planning on light grey expoxy then a dark tone of red on the top where the blue used to be.

With the majority of the interior metal work finished, I flipped her over...30 years of oxidation and water schmootz...

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

There were a couple of dings but the hull is sound and all the rivets are tight...getting down to metal was not an easy task. The buildup was pretty hard.

IMG_0202.jpg

After several hours of wire wheeling and sanding, I got her clean. Then, an acid wash and scouring with a scotch brite followed by a wipe down with acetone and voila! Clean and ready to prime!

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

I used Valspar zinc chromate primer. Man! Is that some strong smelling stuff! I had a good breeze coming through the garage though and it dried pretty quickly ... what a lovely color! I might just skip the topcoat and go with this...Haha!

IMG_0206.jpg

I'I have to take a break in the action for a week or so but I will be sketching out the interior and making plans for that in the mean time.

Ober51

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Any updates on this? Eager to see more, lol. Rather than using the zinc chromate, can I use a self etch primer?

mantis270

Seaman

I had to step away from the project for a bit but am ready to get going on it again! I have started cutting plywood to shape for the decks, finished the splashwell and cleaned/primed any remaining bare aluminum.

I did hook up the motor to a gas tank and battery. I didn't have a attachment for the water inlet ... nothing duct-tape couldn't handle!:D ... To my relief, there was a puff of smoke and she started right up!

I ordered the paint over a week ago (Interlux 2000e Epoxy paint). The day that it was supposed to arrive, I did the UPS tracking thing and saw that the package was 'damaged in transit' and had to be 'discarded'. I called the supplier and they confirmed that it was UPS's fault and have another on the way...should be here today. Hehe...I wonder if there was a bit of a mess in the delivery truck?

I'll update with photos this weekend.

About the primer, zinc chromate was the material of choice to prime aluminum but is being phased out. I got a can from a guy on eBay. The rest of the priming I did was with spray cans of zinc phosphate primer I bought at a local marine shop. These are etching primers and there are others available. When you clean the aluminum you're going to prime...prime as soon as possible to minimize the oxidation that the primer has to etch through to get to the metal. Just don't overdo the priming...more is not better. A light coat that you can see through is all you need.

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - decking and splashwell

While I was waiting on the re-shipment of the paint, I cut out the plywood for the decks. The front deck was a snap using the old one as a template. The rear deck...I had to cut these to match the curve of the hull. Instead of using cardboard, I got a little creative. I cut the boards to the approximate width then put them in and secured them. I then made a little 'jig' out of some scrap plywood and a sharpie...

1.jpg

Then, holding the tip of the jig against the hull and keeping the wide end parallel to the center line, I traced the shape of the hull...

2.jpg

This gave me a line to follow with my saw with the blade at an angle....worked pretty well! Got a nice even fit.

3.jpg

Then I did the same with the other side. Then I finished up the splashwell with the original piece of aluminum with a few modifications so I will stand upright instead of at an angle...

4.jpg

5.jpg

I have her flipped over and next...PAINT!!

PFalcon

Seaman

Moving right along, keep up the work(FUN), and keep up the pictures!

PF

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Way cool...keep the pix coming.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

I have to say this is the most insanely complete and thorough job I have ever seen on a boat of this size and class. Kudos!

The previous "most insanely complete" award went to a boat I actually made the seats for. Can't remember the brand: Alumacraft? Similar to this Lund in size but tiller steering and wicked heavy aluminum hull. Made in the nineteen fifties, and that thing weighed a wicked lot for an aluminum boat. The original seat boards were probably cedar, but I made new seat boards out of a piece 6/4 x16" clear white pine that was cut by the owner's father in the 1890's (!) and had been stored in attics ever since. I scribed it to the hull sheer angle and fore/aft sweep with a block plane. The owner spar varnished them before installing them.

That hull was stripped and polished bare aluminum, but was not nearly as well fitted as your Lund. Your boat is / will be a lot more versatile as well.

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - painting

Hey guys...thanks for the encouragement! Like I said earlier...this was originally going to be a few tweaks here and there but then I got carried away.

The paint finally showed up so I gave the primer a quick scuff with some 80 grit then a good wipe down. The first can was damaged in shipment and discarded...looks like they almost screwed this one up too!

This paint is THICK! A drill was the only way to go to make sure I had the two components mixed...

IMG_0208.jpg

Then pour...roll and tip...I was really impressed by how easily it spread and how well it covered.

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

I put on two good coats. Also used a brush to make sure the rivet heads are completely covered and to work the paint into the seams and corners.

Now she needs to cure ... don't miss that green color!

IMG_0215.jpg

PFalcon

Seaman

Great Job!

She is going to be amazing, keep up the professional job!

PF

mantis270

Seaman

Now that the barrier coat has dried and cured...time for a splash of color. After looking around, I opted for a metallic red by Rustoleum. First I had to mask of the area I wanted to paint...

IMG_0216.jpg

Then started spraying. I tried to take my time with long, slow sweeps and not changing direction with the button pressed to keep from buildup and sagging...It was pretty windy so when I was actually spraying, I closed the garage door then opened it immediately after to help dry.

First coat...

IMG_0217.jpg

I ended up doing 4 passes, steadily building a solid coat.

IMG_0218.jpg

After that, I removed all the masking and gave the bottom a good coating of marine wax. Then, rolled her over and put her back on the trailer.

IMG_0220.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Next is to paint the interior and start the woodwork for the decks.

willyrocket

Seaman

Looks good!! What a difference paint makes. Who needs a new boat!

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - Deck work

Re: 14' Lund Renovation - Deck work

Now that all the paint is done, time to work on the decking. I had already cut out the main pieces and am ready to cut the hatches. First was to mark out what I want...

IMG_0221.jpg

Then took my time with a jig saw. They came out pretty well...

IMG_0224.jpg

With the front piece too...

IMG_0225.jpg

Next was to sand everything, smooth off the corners and slap on a good coat of resin.

IMG_0226.jpg

Now I'll have to flip them over and cover the other side and edges, hit them with a sander to smooth everything and knock off the drips then they should be ready for carpet.

slbri

Seaman Apprentice

Just amazing Mantis! Really nice. Really inspiring to keep me going on mine. All I have been doing is ordering parts; seats, posts, built me a motor stand. I haven't even pulled the motor off yet. This weekend is the time to finally get dirty. Keep up the pics so we can continue to be inspired!:p

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - carpet

That resin will give you a bit of a headache! Several days ago, one of the torsion springs on my garage door snapped! Until I get that replaced, I can not open the door (it's solid wood and FREAKIN' HEAVY!!) the weather hasn' t been too inviting lately so I've been basically working indoors for the past week or so.

I put in the bench covers. For floatation foam, I bought some of that pink insulation sheeting for walls, the thickest available. It's waterproof and not as messy as some of the other alternatives...just cut into 10" strips at the right length and packed as many in as I could.

I wanted a longer front deck so I can get some storage in the nose for the anchor and rope. So, I put together the front section from two pieces of plywood spliced with fiberglass...came out pretty well and is quite strong!

The decks are now finished, coated with resin and ready for carpet...

IMG_0227.jpg

I gave the surfaces a scuff with the sander then wiped down with a clean rag dampened with some rubbing alcohol. Next is to spread and trowel the adhesive...I'm using outdoor carpet and oudoor carpet adhesive from Home Depot...

IMG_0228.jpg

A bit of advice when using this goop...if you get some on your arm...especially where there's hair... don't look at it and say 'I'll take care of that later' ... it's much less painful to take care if it right then before it sets!

Once the adhesive is down, I put down the pre-cut carpet...

IMG_0229.jpg

Then rolled it smooth with a good bit of pressure using a dowel rod I had laying around to get the adhesive into the backing of the carpet.

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Now I have to let it cure for a day or two then cut out the hatches, flip it over and fold the edges over and glue them down too. I need to get some more adhesive to take care of the front deck and hatch doors but that's another day.

PFalcon

Seaman

Looks Really Good! I gotta find me a "tinny"!

Thanx for keeping us all involved!

PF

mantis270

Seaman

After setting overnight, the adhesive is cured enough to flip over but first I cut out the hatches leaving some to wrap under...I also put in the hinges under the carpet.

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

Then I just added more goo to the edges and bottom, folded under and stapled in with wood staples. My thought is that the staples are going through the adhesive so they should seal themselves where they penetrate the resin....maybe...we'll see...

IMG_0237.jpg

There it is...now I have to work on the doors and front deck...

IMG_0238.jpg

mantis270

Seaman
Re: 14' Lund Renovation - deck work

Re: 14' Lund Renovation - deck work

I replaced the torsion springs on the garage door ... cheaper doing it myself but not a job for the feint of heart. Quite tense when you consider how much energy you're building when winding those springs and what could happen if one slipped!

Anyway, I got the hatch doors carpeted and installed. I glued them with the same adhesive as the deck but since I couldn't wrap the carpet around the edges, I ran a bead of epoxy on the edge of the carpet to provide some extra adhesion.

IMG_0245.jpg

I then repeated with the front deck and door then slid them into place to check the fit. I did have to cut some angled braces for front tip of the front deck to keep everything level...came out pretty well.

IMG_0248.jpg

Also made up the support for the trolling motor...

IMG_0251.jpg

They're not fastened yet...I will do that after the I'm finished with the wiring so I can run as much of it under the decks as possible. The wires I remove are in good shape and have inline fuses already so I'll reuse them...just had to untangle the bird-nest that I removed...

IMG_0252.jpg

It's starting to come together! Can't wait to get her out on the water!

Status
Not open for further replies.