14' Fiberglass without a CApacity Plate... Help...

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As most of you know, I'm restoring a 1966 Elgin 14' Fiberglass boat. It has no capacity plate and the Fish and Game Comm needs that data to process my application. For lack of better description, its a 14' fiberglass, 3 bench seats, vhull up front kinda tapering to a flat bottom in the back. I've got pics on my other threads. Can someone with a similar boat please give me some usefull info? Max motor size, max occupancy, max occupant weight, and total maximum weight please. Its the last part to get her registered and since there was no plates made pre 1973, they need me to register for one if I dont already have the info.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 14' Fiberglass without a CApacity Plate... Help...

HI 1BadTitan. I couldn't find your exact boat, but I found some similar Elgins of that era at the the link below. It may help get you started. It looks like the max rating is around 65 hp for the 16', so I think yours would be around 40-50 hp for a 14'. They advertise an Elgin 40 hp in the link, which should make it scoot along nicely. Some boats of the era also matched pairs of 20-40 hp motors too.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Elgin

May be a dumb question, but can't you just say it's homemade? In FLA I simply tell them it's a homemade boat and it is registered as such. I don't understand all the Fish and Game requirements you have. Maybe we do also, but I'm just ignorant. :eek:

kfa4303

Banned

I think we're just lucky here in FLA idonthaveaname because we have so many boats. There was a post the other day where the guy in Texas (I think) had to get a title for the boat, trailer, and motor !?!? Another guy in Tenn was being taxed almost $500 over a little wooden jon boat he'd built with his son because the state said he was a "boat designer" and dealer. They chalked it up to being in a state that doesn't have much boating, therefore lots of wacky boating laws and regs (or lack there of). Thankfully, I've never had a problem getting any of my boats titled, or registered here in sunny FLA. I guess we're just lucky. I suppose it's easier to register a snowmobile in Idaho than in FLA though :) Fair trade if you ask me.

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It is not easy for us here. Proof of purchased materials to bulid the homemade item is needed. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$.
I have a boat trailer that I bought from my brother in law in South Carolina. They do not title these small trailers so a notorized bill of sale was supplied. No good here. Trailer has been sitting for five yrs.

1BadTitan, I had an old jon with no capacity or hull ID and the commission issued one based on size and material of construction. I think I had to pay around $25 for it. That was about four yrs. ago so I don't really know how they handle things now.

1BadTitan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HI 1BadTitan. I couldn't find your exact boat, but I found some similar Elgins of that era at the the link below. It may help get you started. It looks like the max rating is around 65 hp for the 16', so I think yours would be around 40-50 hp for a 14'. They advertise an Elgin 40 hp in the link, which should make it scoot along nicely. Some boats of the era also matched pairs of 20-40 hp motors too.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/Elgin
Thanks man, I'll check that out...
May be a dumb question, but can't you just say it's homemade? In FLA I simply tell them it's a homemade boat and it is registered as such. I don't understand all the Fish and Game requirements you have. Maybe we do also, but I'm just ignorant. :eek:
Its a pain in the butt here... They just want more money, I was hoping to come close to what I need so I dont have to pay for them to calculate my limits
I think we're just lucky here in FLA idonthaveaname because we have so many boats. There was a post the other day where the guy in Texas (I think) had to get a title for the boat, trailer, and motor !?!? Another guy in Tenn was being taxed almost $500 over a little wooden jon boat he'd built with his son because the state said he was a "boat designer" and dealer. They chalked it up to being in a state that doesn't have much boating, therefore lots of wacky boating laws and regs (or lack there of). Thankfully, I've never had a problem getting any of my boats titled, or registered here in sunny FLA. I guess we're just lucky. I suppose it's easier to register a snowmobile in Idaho than in FLA though :) Fair trade if you ask me.
They need a title and all documents must be notarized.

It is not easy for us here. Proof of purchased materials to bulid the homemade item is needed. It's all about the $$$$$$$$$$$.
I have a boat trailer that I bought from my brother in law in South Carolina. They do not title these small trailers so a notorized bill of sale was supplied. No good here. Trailer has been sitting for five yrs.

1BadTitan, I had an old jon with no capacity or hull ID and the commission issued one based on size and material of construction. I think I had to pay around $25 for it. That was about four yrs. ago so I don't really know how they handle things now.

I didnt want to have to pay more than necessary to get this thing legal.