12V Lighter Outlet Not Working

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My "new to me" 1987 Sea Ray Sorrento S24 has a 12V lighter/ auxiliary power outlet that isn't working. Yesterday I plugged in my 12 Volt vacuum and it didn't turn on. I had a look at the back side and the positive wire is missing and it's not obvious as to where it is. I didn't notice anything hanging there not connected. There's an ACC switch that doesn't appear to be doing anything either.

I'd really like to have that outlet working to power the vacuum and also to run the 12V air pump for the tube. I'm looking for ideas as to the easiest way to do this and NOT burn something up in the process.

I thought of coming straight off one of the batteries with an in-line fuse. Just looking for some general advice here and perhaps even a wiring diagram? Does anyone know where the wires are terminated for the ACC switch and what it's typically used for?

Thanks!

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 12V Lighter Outlet Not Working

Good luck w/ your new boat.

The Searay manual for your boat shows two accessory breakers. One is a 15A and the other is a 50A (on the bilge accessory box).

It would be fine to wire the lighter receptacle to the 15A accessory breaker, w/ appropriate ABYC wiring practices.

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I can connect directly to the accessory breaker or is it pre-wired to a more easily accessible location?

BTW, love yor boat!

Bob

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I recently added one to my boat. In my case I added a 14 circuit blade type fuse block that is connected directly to the battery. You do not ever connect any thing other than motor and gage inputs to the key switch. I ran a short piece of 10 gage wire from the fuse panel to the lighter with a 30 amp fuse. I tried it with lower amp fuses but the arcing and in rush from it being pushed in kept blowing smaller ones and why I wired it for 30 amps and 10 gage wire

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if I can connect directly to the accessory breaker or is it pre-wired to a more easily accessible location?
You are welcome.

Either will work.

On my boat there was an unused already-wired accessory switch on the dash. The documentation was useless to locate that wiring. So I pulled apart the wiring, corrected some factory deficiencies, then integrated that switch and wiring into one of my updates.

Remember to yank the battery negative terminal(s) before playing w/ wiring. Follow ABYC for all the updates and repairs.

BTW, love yor boat!
Thank you! Me too! Mine is all tricked-out.

Good luck!

wingless

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A better option than connecting wires directly to the battery is to connect them before or after the MBSS.

There is no benefit to creating a "rats nest" on top of the battery by adding extra wires. The ABYC standard limits the quantity of wires attached to the battery terminals too.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

yes thats about the same thing. I completly rewired my boat and wanted extra power for things if I needed it.

NYBo

Admiral

I ran a short piece of 10 gage wire from the fuse panel to the lighter with a 30 amp fuse. I tried it with lower amp fuses but the arcing and in rush from it being pushed in kept blowing smaller ones and why I wired it for 30 amps and 10 gage wire
Most of those outlets are only capable of handling 10 amps so you need to be mindful of what you plug into it. You will melt the outlet before the fuse will blow.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Yes I realize that. I did a good bit of looking at the sockets some time ago and couldn't find one rated at more than 10 amps in the USA. You can find them up to 30 amps in the UK and Aus. I was looking into using a 12 volt coffee pot and it has a high amp draw. So I went with a propane powered one.