12V armature

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 75 merc 850 that uses an external hydraulic pump for tilt and trim. I took it apart to look at the brushes because it wasn't working. After taking the cap off I noticed that the armature was just flopping around inside. Other armature's that I've worked on have permanent magnets inside, this one seems to have electro magnets. Is this possible, or have I gotten too old to know the difference. thx.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
When you say armature, you mean field coil, right? Field coil should be attached to the outer casing.

Both armature and field are coils.

On the other hand, for that PTT unit, the pump holds the bottom of the armature. if you removed the motor from the pump unit, the armature bottom will flop around. The top of the armature will be held by the bushing near the brushes. Look for a bi-metal overload. They can get some dirt in them opening the circuit needed to run the motor.

Starters do have permanent magnets.

aburke120

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks, this one doesn't have permanent magnets, has a wire broken on one of the brushes, lots of brush dust, I was just curious about the magnets, that's why the comment about the armature "flopping around". Others I've worked on stayed inside held by the magnets.