125hp force 80s model thermostat?

So I just got a force 125hp and I’m not trying to go thru what I did with my Chrysler again and lose a boatload of money. I’m gonna service it to the best of my abilities all the way thru. Ordered a new water pump kit, gonna change the gear lube, sprayed fogging oil all in the carbs and pistons, gonna take the carb bowls off and clean those, run some seafoam thru the gas and in the carbs, finally I want to change the thermostat. I’m not sure where it is on this motor and don’t have a service manual yet. Anyone have a pic of it or a location? And is there a specific type I need to get or is it a thermostat similar to a car? I’ll post a pic of the motor he didn’t have a title but I’m guessing it’s an early 80s model. I’m gonna get the serial number later to figure out it’s extra specs. Here’s a pic of it if that helps.

Nordin

Commander
Post a pic of the power head.
I think the thermostat housing is just above the number 1 spark plug.

Post a pic of the power head.
I think the thermostat housing is just above the number 1 spark plug.

Ok that’s what I thought too since it’s similar to that Chrysler I had once I get back to the house I’ll take a pic

I’m also looking for a water pump kit but can’t seem to find one for that year.. any ideas where I can find one? This is the model number: 1258V6A

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Thermostat: it can be a real pain to get out if you already havent??
The screws lock themselves in place.
You probably don't need the pump kit. it's about 170$ the impeller is 22$
The housing is made of pot metal and usually will work even if it looks dead.
They last a LONG time.
I used mine for 20+ years in salt water and it looks like crap but still worked.

Thermostat: it can be a real pain to get out if you already havent??
The screws lock themselves in place.
You probably don't need the pump kit. it's about 170$ the impeller is 22$
The housing is made of pot metal and usually will work even if it looks dead.
They last a LONG time.
I used mine for 20+ years in salt water and it looks like crap but still worked.

thank u sir for the info. Glad to see I can just replace the impeller I was hoping that was the case just wasn’t sure. And ok I was just reading they go bad frequently so I wanna make sure I do everything I can with this motor so it doesn’t crap out on me like the last one :)

Oh one more thing if you have a link to some throttle/shifter cables could you send that with the others as well please

Morse 3300 or the red jacket .
On the cable is the size.and part#.
I found 4 that fit my boat on ebay for under 80$

Did I send you https://www.**********/product/mercu...10d843a43158a8 ??

I’m trying to find some of their cables that have the little area for the ball to sit in with the clamp like the OEM ones I have do.. and yes all of those links for the impeller etc. you sent me when you click on them they show up like that it says the page can not load

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
None of the cables will have the connector.
That comes from the old cables.

None of the cables will have the connector.
That comes from the old cables.

Ok I can reuse the cables and controller from my Chrysler they should work fine. I ordered an impeller since you said I don’t need to get the whole kit. Any idea about the thermostat? Might try to go take that cover off later I’ll send you some pics but I still can’t find one online doesn’t show the exact make and model for my force

Also I need to replace the seals for the power trim it’ll go up and down but falls back down once I go all the way up and has no downward push resistance. Know of a part number for those of where I can get a few?

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Read the first 4-5 posts in this forum.
One will have the directions and part# for the seals.
You might get lucky and get it apart, has it been in salt water?
Compressed air and lots of patience.
The pump body is made from soft metal and any force/hammering can bend it.
The pump itself: there is NOTHING in the pump that you can fix.Don't mess with it.
The seals are in the bottom of the pump.

Yes the thermo's under the box.
WD-40 or PB Blaster and a small torch might be needed??
Took me 4 hrs to undo just 1 of the screws.
Replace them with 1/4-20 regular hex head screw.

Read the first 4-5 posts in this forum.
One will have the directions and part# for the seals.
You might get lucky and get it apart, has it been in salt water?
Compressed air and lots of patience.
The pump body is made from soft metal and any force/hammering can bend it.
The pump itself: there is NOTHING in the pump that you can fix.Don't mess with it.
The seals are in the bottom of the pump.

Yes the thermo's under the box.
WD-40 or PB Blaster and a small torch might be needed??
Took me 4 hrs to undo just 1 of the screws.
Replace them with 1/4-20 regular hex head screw.

So I’m trying to understand what you mean by that.. I want to take out the ram rod and replace that seal or I guess on the part that has the piston replace those? I can’t find a good video on how to do one similar to my model

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You didn't say you had seals leaking???
If it does what you describe?? then the seals in the relief valves need replacing.

You have a 2 part system, one's the trim(center rod) the others the tilt (shock looking ram)
The center one is very difficult to fix the other is no picnic either.
Like I said the problem you described is covered in the posts in the forum.