120 gearcase slowly lowers, not the tilt cylinder - think its valve, now what?

pelletman

Cadet
:confused:Since there is no evident fluid leakage I focused on the valve. My valve body photo
is attached. Its from a '92 (I think 120 Hp). There is a small chip in the surface of the
slot just "north" of center . Can this be the cause of the leakage? If so where can I get
parts or a repair?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

20130603_181942.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 120 gearcase slowly lowers, not the tilt cylinder - think its valve, now what?

That is almost NEVER the cause of leak-down. Under the pump are two check valves, hopefully the screw in type. the front check valve is the UP check and usually the very small O ring inside it fails, resulting in the engine slowly (and progressively faster) dropping.

The tilt cylinder has a large O ring on the internal piston. Wear or failure of this O ring will cause the engine to drop, again, slowly at first and accelerating as wear progresses.

NEITHER condition will show leaking fluid outside the tilt/trim system.

The small O ring can be had as a Tecumpsa carb repair kit. search the forum to find a part number. The large O ring on the tilt cylinder piston is PROBABLY a standard O ring available at Graingers, McMaster Carr, and other hardware stores.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 120 gearcase slowly lowers, not the tilt cylinder - think its valve, now what?

Have the "factory" manual?? It has test procedures to isolate the problem.
You will need to buy,depending on the year? A couple of pipe fittings.
Need a pic of the pump.

pelletman

Cadet

Thanks again guys for your help. I fould a local but retired force mechanic, who told me
that it was almost never the cylinder. So, I swapped out an older valve body from a 125 I had
sitting around and HALELUYAH, No more leakage. The mechanic also had an old trailoring
bracket which he gave me (for 20 bucks) and mentioned that failure to use one of these things
causes most of the hydraulic failures... I never even saw one before.

Back to the river !

foodfisher

Captain

Back to the river !

After dropping off his favorite beverage. Nurture that relationship.