12' Sears Gamefisher resto

Status
Not open for further replies.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 12' Sears Gamefisher resto

Man, that thing flies!!:D

I was reading your other thread and if your overpowered on that boat it's only by a couple of horsepower. I could be wrong, but I think I read here (iboats) that O.B. motors horsepower used to be measured at the power head instead of the propeller like they are now. If I got that right it means your motor is more like a 15-16hp which is closer to your max hp rating (depending on when the boat was built :rolleyes:).

On the seats, is it possible to fiberglass them in or are they a different material?

Can't wait to see her finished.

BOB

I agree about the horsepower not being too much over...the Coast Guard tag says it's rated for 14 horsepower. On the seats, yes they are made out of thin fiberglass, so I plan on glassing them in and re-inforcing them...that should do the trick. It's upside down in the garage right now, sanding on the bottom to get it ready for primer, then I can do the seats and paint the inside. Hopefull I will be able to get this thing legal, starting to worry after reading some threads on this in Texas...no title.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey chris..

Something I learned from a true seaman..

When you christen the boat..Drink the bottle..break it..and pee on the bow :D

YD.

I learn something new every day. Thanks capn'!

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Progress...my brother and I have been working on foaming the seats so I can glass them into the hull permenantly. We decided to cut some floor inserts out to make standing a little easier, and to flatten the floor in the battery/gas tank area. My brother brought home a trailer also, it's a little big, but I think it'll work ok, better than carrying it on the flatbed.

new trailer (another project, lol)
TRAILERFOAM006.jpg

filling the seats with foam, put a little too much in the first one, bowed the top up a bit, but it'll be ok.
TRAILERFOAM015.jpg

got some glass on top of my plywood cooler lid and filled seat with foam
TRAILERFOAM017.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ran out of foam, about one more can will make it rise enough to shave flat for the seat top
TRAILERFOAM019.jpg

front seat ready to glass
TRAILERFOAM029.jpg

middle seat ready to glass
TRAILERFOAM032.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the rear floor insert
TRAILERFOAM025.jpg

middle insert
TRAILERFOAM028.jpg

i want to bolt these tie downs to the inserts to serve as both tie down points and handles for picking up the floors. they have some sort of zinc or galvanise coating on them.
TRAILERFOAM037.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going to be painting the wood with resin, but also topping with fiberglass matt for extra strength and the matching non-skid texture it provides. I picked up this 2-part epoxy floor paint today from the depot in a light grey, i'm going to use this as my interior paint job.

TRAILERFOAM027.jpg

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

I was thinking of using that same product for my floor but I wanted to use it without the flakes and the sample in the depot w/o the flakes felt slippery & the sample W/ the flakes had a lot of grip.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I planned on using it without the flakes too because the colors don't match the motor...I'm going to try and splatter paint over the grey with red to match my motor, and the red stripe that will be on the side of the hull. Hopefull it won't be too slippery, my floor will have plenty of texture before the paint goes on.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got some work in on the boat today, finished filling the rear seat with foam and trimmed that down...my brother did a great job with his electric fillet knife. Then it was time to start glassing the seats, I started on the front one and will work my way back.

full of expanded foam
GLASSSEAT001.jpg

my brother trimming it down
GLASSSEAT003.jpg

finished cut
GLASSSEAT005.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now here's the front seat, hole is glassed, and sides of seat glassed in.
GLASSSEAT006.jpg

and the top...
GLASSSEAT010.jpg

GLASSSEAT009.jpg

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll put at least one more layer of cloth on top of the seat, i want them to be stronger than they were originally and could use the weight.

GLASSSEAT011.jpg

started filling the holes on the middle seat, called it a day right here, maybe some more work tonight after my shows.
GLASSSEAT007.jpg

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice work Chris!

The floor inserts are a great idea.

Are you going to finish all the interior with that garage epoxy?

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I am planning to coat the entire interior with the garage floor epoxy. I can't wait to get to the painting part, every time I touch this boat I itch for hours..And every time it gets close it seems we make more work for ourselves by adding or changing something. Hope to be putting paint on it by this weekend.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

These places on the middle seat have had me puzzled since I brought this boat home. Can anyone tell me what this is for? There is one on each side of the middle seat...aft.

GLASSSEAT100-1.jpg

notlef

Seaman

Those were lure holders. Foam was glued on there originally

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Read the instructions on the epoxy floor paint, it's not designed for outdoor use, epoxies don't do well in the sun.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Read the instructions on the epoxy floor paint, it's not designed for outdoor use, epoxies don't do well in the sun.

Epoxy doesn't do well in the sun vs. what? Gelcoat? It does great in the sun right? NO. Have you ever seen one that was stored outside in the sun? Chalk. Now lets look at automotive paint...does it do well in the sun? I am a professional auto body refinisher, so I can tell you from experience, NO...it does not do well in the sun, turns to chalk. Lets look at house paint, does it do well in the sun, NO, just look at the house i'm living in...it's only 4 years old and the red paint is faded to chalk. The moral of this story is nothing does well in the sun, park your boat inside. :D

P.S. Garage floor paint is UV stable according to the label. ;)

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer

Well I plan on using Pettit easypoxy topside with Pettit skidless compound 9900 for my deck, both are made for the job and a total price of $29 for topside & $16 for Skidless = $45. About the same price as the garage floor if not cheaper and no doubts about it.

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is cheaper, where do I find the Pettit product?

Status
Not open for further replies.