Seaman Apprentice
Re: 12' Jon boat project help/ideas

cant seem to find a rebuild kit for the carb

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

OH MAN I HOPE IM NOT IN OVER MY HEAD. After starting to pull the motor apart i took off the exhaust and found a crack in the mount for the exhuast on the compresion cylinder. and cant find a new one anywhere!!! how much will this effect the way it runs?

Ned L

Commander

I basically understand what you are saying, but would need a lot more detail in order to comment. A couple of pictures (real close up) would help.

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE. So i got the motor to stay running. But it takes forever to cold start. i think its a problem with the the gravity feed , because when i tilt the motor back it starts. So i think im satisfied with it for now. Got the paint all done and bedliner on the bottom, trailer all sanded ready for paint. Tomorrows agenda - Put wood floor down, build the walls on the side and hopefully get the carpet down

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

What does the inside of the boat look like?

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

I havnt got to the inside yet. color and paint all the same as original outside
. 3 benches one back one middle one front. they dont go all the way to floor, attached at sides

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

motor after paint and new gas lines new shut off new filter. and custon carb cap/intake

IMG_0255.jpgIMG_0258.jpgIMG_0259.jpg

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

trailer after light sanding and lights and wires

IMG_0262.jpgIMG_0260.jpgIMG_0261.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Have you given any thought to floatation foam?

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

you mean uner the wood floor?

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

... and under the bench seats.

How thick is the plywood you're using for the deck? How many sheets?

The seats have foam uner them and i actually got some of the i think its called great stuff. its can foam that expands. i was planning on putting that under the floor. and i havnt got the wood yet but im only runing one sheet 8ft long by width of the boat beleive its 32 on bottom. probably half inch. think that will be ok?

Rymer22

Seaman Apprentice

My uncle came by today to check my progress. He was with my grandfather when he bought the boat. They fished the hell outta this boat. He looked quiet proud of how its comin along. Maybe even got a lil choked up when i told him im naming it after his parents, my grandparents. The Betty Lee. Hope I can get this done soon so we can get out on the water and do some fishin

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The seats have foam uner them and i actually got some of the i think its called great stuff. its can foam that expands. i was planning on putting that under the floor. and i havnt got the wood yet but im only runing one sheet 8ft long by width of the boat beleive its 32 on bottom. probably half inch. think that will be ok?

How many cans of Great Stuff did you get? Rigid sheet foam is a much better option, you can probably get it the same thickness as the ribs inside your boat and it will help support your decking and go with a thinner plywood like 3/8".

There isn't enough foam in one of those cans of great stuff for diddle, which makes it very expensive to use for floatation foam.