12/24 volt trolling motor

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need a new bow mount trolling motor for my 15.5 foot Skeeter bass boat. Im thinking about finding a used Motorguide Brute 12/24 volt 56 or so lbs. thrust.

Currrently the boat is rigged for a 12 volt in the front, how hard would it be to convert to 12/24 volt operation?Would it only require adding a third wire that runs to the back to the batteries, or is there more involved?

Also I dont really like the idea of adding a third battery to the boat because its heavy already and space is at a premium on this boat. So would it be possible to use my dedicated trolling battery and starting battery for the 12/24 volt system and be careful about running it down too far, this is assuming the two batteries are matched.
Or would it make more sense to just rig up a three battery system and live with the extra weight gain?

As a last possibility I could leave everything as it is and fins another 12 volt troller to replace the one I have, the last option seems to be the easiest but Im interested in the viability of a 12/24 or 24 volt system.

Thanks for the input.
Happy boating!8)

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: 12/24 volt trolling motor

u could add the battery up front where the motor is
u just add the battery in series

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick response!

I dont really want to put the battery in the front because
there is no under deck space for it, and on the deck is not viable because it would take up space. I would much rather install the extra battery in the battery compartment in the back.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

For a 15.5 foot boat you don't need a 24V motor. A 55# 12V will be just fine. No -- you do not want to use the engine start battery as part of a 24V trolling motor battery bank. Run the batteries down and you will not be able to start the engine. It's not a good idea. Stick with 12V for economy and simplicity. If you insist on 24V here's what you need. Just eliminate the switch if your trolling motor has a 12/24V selector switch.
12-24VWiring.jpg

birdgod

Petty Officer 1st Class

For a 15.5 foot boat you don't need a 24V motor. A 55# 12V will be just fine. No -- you do not want to use the engine start battery as part of a 24V trolling motor battery bank. Run the batteries down and you will not be able to start the engine. It's not a good idea. Stick with 12V for economy and simplicity. If you insist on 24V here's what you need. Just eliminate the switch if your trolling motor has a 12/24V selector switch.
12-24VWiring.jpg

hi, using this setup can you run a 24v trolling and a 12v fishing light at the same time?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Tap off either battery. WARNING: run both the negative and positive wires to the same battery. I repeat -- those old Brutes are troublesome motors. Don't believe me? Search this forum. Install a 55# 12 volt and be happy. Also be aware that the switch shown in the diagram must be a VERY HEAVY DUTY switch as it will need to carry 30+ amps at 24 volts and 40+ amps at 12 volts. All wiring must also be appropriately sized. Way overkill for what you need.