12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s Aerocraft restoration

Stern decking after 1 coat of Minwax sealer/stain Provincial dark wood color. I'm considering coating it with a bit of sand to add grip.
DSCF3614.jpg

DSCF3613.jpg

DSCF3612.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

This 7.5 Mercury is an excellent example of the type of outboard that I need for this boat to be repowered. The guy is selling it with a boat and trailer for $850. Maybe I can talk him into selling me just the motor for $250?:D

Edit: The guy said he would rather keep the whole rig rather than sell the motor by itself. What can ya do?

Attachments

• 7.5merc.jpg
    7.5merc.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander

You could also buy it for $300.00 then sell the boat for $200.00 and the trailer for $200.00 and have $100.00 for gas to run it with :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey H.A...

Just wanted to pop in and say that is one beeeechin little boat!

I think the thing I like the most is that your out there USING it while doing these improvements....

Huron Angler

Admiral

Fellas thanks for checking in...Rick I like your idea but I'm not sure if my landlord wants to see any more vessels in my yard even for a few weeks:eek: My canoe is painted camoflauge and it's back in the trees so maybe I could get away with another one...

CheapBoatKev I do have the huge advantage of being able to take the flooring out in 2 seconds and go fishing if I'm in the middle of sealing/staining which makes it easy:) Also flipping the boat over to sand/wash/whatever can be done by one person so I can always get out on the water when needed:)

I do wish the sealer dried a little more quickly, I have gotten accustomed to the flooring pretty quickly:(

Don't worry, when I do become an official member of the starcraft club(eta 6-9months, checking craigslist hourly) I will be drydocked for months I'm sure...happens to the best of us right? I was thinking about it Starcraft/Aerocraft sounds the same to me can I get on the mailing list somehow in the meantime on an exception basis?;)

In other news I am going to be pricing paint for the exterior hull, is it correct to assume everyone has been happy with regular rustoleum over zinc chromate rolled and tipped?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

They way I see it..
You are already in the Tin-Can Club..In very high regard and standing..
When you find the right SC, you should be fast tracked and welcomed with open toolboxes! lol..Ya thought I'd say ARMS??? too mushy!

Huron Angler

Admiral

...you should be fast tracked and welcomed with open toolboxes! lol..Ya thought I'd say ARMS??? too mushy!

LOL...I agree 100% and appreciate ya keeping at arms length...you know, close enough to hand me a beer but no closer as a general rule:D

On a more serious note...what do you guys think about me trying to cut a small(1'x2') hatch in my middle or stern bench?

I would like to be able to get all of the old foam(don't need to tell you vintage Starcraft folks about that:p) and replace it with new blue/pink stuff.

Also would like to leave a small area under each seat to store a small cooler, flares, air horns, pretzels, whatever. Would I want to build a box around the bench and attach with stainless bolts to reinforce the lateral strength of the vessel?

If you haven't noticed I am a fan of sealed/stained wood for this rig due to its nostalgic look and my lack of metal fabrication skills.

I know taking out the benches altogether would essentially be hull suicide but if I leave 95% intact and reinforce I think it may be ok.

Thoughts?

Rickairmedic

Commander

I dont see a problem with it . I would make some angled pieces to wrap around the edges and rivet them on . This would add strength back and also give you a place to put in a nice piece of finished wood once done :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

I dont see a problem with it . I would make some angled pieces to wrap around the edges and rivet them on . This would add strength back and also give you a place to put in a nice piece of finished wood once done :D.

Rick

I like that idea Rick...do you mean an "L" shaped piece that would be riveted on top and the sides? Good excuse to learn how to put in new rivets anyhow.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Huron I would make them in more of a Z only with a straight upright that would give you a ledge to set a lid onto or simply an L as you suggested and make a wood seat for the whole top of the seat that would cover the hole as well.

Rick

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

nice looking project there, I especially like what you did with the wood on the floor.

I am almost wishing I had started with a project like yours instead of the one I have now.

Of course, knowing me I would have decided to way over do it and stretch it a foot of two and then try to figure out how to stuff a big I/O into it... :rolleyes:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks Lightnig, I like how the decking is working out too...MUCH nicer when standing up to catch a fish or whatever you're doing;)

I am almost wishing I had started with a project like yours instead of the one I have now.

Funny you mention it because this is a warm-up for my Starcraft restoration project that will be my real blood, sweat, and tears rebuild. I want to find one in awful shape and bring her back to the good life:D

I've been putting more coats of seal/stain on the decking and will be rebuilding the transom inside and out next. That should teach me a few things:confused:

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is the Lowrance fishfinder that I'm considering for the little rig. Huron Sr. bought it at a garage sale and never used it(it is from the mid-90s) so he gave it to me. The screen still has the plastic film over it and the wiring is coild still from the factory so I am 99% sure it's never been used:D I've been using a portable Humminbird that attaches to the stern with the aid of a suction cup.
Well the suction cup is somewhere in the Looking Glass river at this point:eek:
DSCF3607.jpg

closer view of the sonar, funny the brand new Humminbird has about the same functionality as this older model, both B&W and have depth/fish alarm beeps
DSCF3609.jpg

Washing the hull down after some muddy river fishing
DSCF3670.jpg

DSCF3669.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Looks like that should do the job just fine and you can mount it more permanent . I bet your Dad is like my neighbor goes to garage sales all the time and walks away with the sweetest treasures for $5.00 or less LOL. His last one was a 100' 10 guage extension cord like new for $3.00 :eek:.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some more shots of the bare hull, green hideous stickers are required for me to fish a private lake out here:eek:
DSCF3667.jpg

DSCF3666.jpg

DSCF3665.jpg

DSCF3664.jpg

the makeshift box/modified boat trailer, considering an upgrade but I am attached to the trailer since I built it with Huron Sr. when I was 10 years old
Possibly remove all the wood, put in new lower bunks?
DSCF3657.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I forgot to post one of the crew...hard at work and still having a good time:)
DSCF3647.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Looks like that should do the job just fine and you can mount it more permanent . I bet your Dad is like my neighbor goes to garage sales all the time and walks away with the sweetest treasures for $5.00 or less LOL. His last one was a 100' 10 guage extension cord like new for $3.00 :eek:.

Rick

2 Bose speakers for $5 is the best deal I've seen, I did find an Abu Garcia medium action rod a few weeks ago and walked away with it for $1:D

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

This is the stain/sealer that I've been coating the decking with- up to around 3-4 coats and counting at this point...repelling water pretty well...tested that while fishing in the rain last night:) Caught another mess of perch, crappie, smallmouth bass, bluegill, catfish and redear sunfish:D
DSCF3631.jpg

DSCF3708.jpg

DSCF3705.jpg

DSCF3703.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Your decks are looking great almost makes me want to put a wood floor in my Jupiter ( and not cover it ) :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks Rick:)...I'm pretty happy with the way the decking is looking so far. I'm not a skilled carpenter by any means so this is somewhat of an accomplishment for me.

Making it last more than one season is the real objective here, so I'm going to throw some additional coats on it for protection. I keep my little tin can in the garage for 9 months of the year and the decking pulls out for the winter outdoor storage so it should last a while:D

I was trying to make it look like a cross between a wooden dock and the mahogany look of a classic Boston Whaler, if that makes any sense.