1150 won't stay in reverse!!

tracterman2

Cadet
okay, here is another reverse question...I've read alot about potential things to be wrong but I'm still wondering opinions. I have a 1970 1150 that I just resently got running and runs great...but reverse won't work. Well when the muffs are on it works. When you put it in the water it won't turn the prop or sounds like its trying to engage but won't...i have adjusted the cable as far out as possible and it has gotten a bit better but still won't engage underwater. If you take the shift linkage off the lever and pull it back with you hand you can put alot more pressure on the prop with your hands...if you just use the shift linkage it will spin and you can feel it try to catch but won't catch solid. I put a water pump on it today, I figured it might be off one tooth...well when I tried that the next tooth you come to puts the lever to far for the linkage to get to for foward...am I missing a tooth or maybe have a bent shift rod? in reverse my lever is right up against the block..in foward it sets right under the carbs..is this the right place?? Or should it be over one tooth....over one tooth puts neutral right under the carbs, foward right past them, and reverse on the other side closest to the cables...where is your lever landing at in the different gears? Seems like if I could get another 1/2" of travel from the shift linkage....ie, pulling the lever tightly against the block like you can with your hand it will stay in gear...also when the linkage isn't hooked up to the lever and you put it in reverse and turn the prop by hand it pops back into neutral...foward will turn the motor over...maybe clutch dogs?? Just wondering opinions...I got an AWSOME deal on this motor and would hate to have to see it go because of the lower unit...thanks again for everyones help!!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1150 won't stay in reverse!!

Trac, You need to align the upper an lower shift rods correctly. Once you have done that, you can trace the problem to a bad LU or a bad MerControl. First, will the LU go into and hold reverse if you shift it by hand? Try it by removing the shift cable, launching the boat and pushing the shift slide all the way into reverse. If it holds in reverse under modest throttle, it should be adjustable.

Now move the shift slide to neutral. It should be near the center of the shift slide. Adjust the shift cable to match the neutral position (MerControl in neutral). if the shift slide in neutral is not near the middle, the upper and lower shift rods are not aligned. You wil need to drop the LU and line them up.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1150 won't stay in reverse!!

you probably have a bad cable if you are lined up properly, and connected properly. they strech over the years, and need to be replaced.