1150 ignition coil substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue bass

Cadet
here's the deal, I have a 1977 mercury 1150 with a bad ignition coil. This motor uses a single coil for all 6 cylinders. The price of a new coil is $140. What i would like to know is does anyone know of a substitute coil that i may be able to use from an auto parts store?? Or is there an alternative coil from anywhere else that is significantly cheaper ? please give me ideas and alternative options.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1150 ignition coil substitute

A coil is a coil. You can use whatever will fit. Ive used the MSD coils on them before and they work fine. $45 or so.

CDI uses a single OMC V4/V6 pattern coil on their replacement switch box combo. You can get a replacement OMC type coil for $30 or so.

Last edited:

blue bass

Cadet

so would a $20 advance auto parts coil work if i can squeeze it under the shroud cover ?

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, it would work. You are throwing a higher voltage at it than the coil sees in its stock form but its no different than if you were running an MSD box which is essentially what a switch box is. The coil really doesnt care what voltage it gets from the primary ignition side.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Why do you think coil is bad?????

blue bass

Cadet

now heres another question if anyone can help, would i need a coil with an internal resister since i dont see any external resister on my motor

blue bass

Cadet

the coil is bad because the primary side is only reading 671. the secondary side is .03 and the magnet on the outside was broken into many pieces and the plastic case was cracked with oil soaked on its outside.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

now heres another question if anyone can help, would i need a coil with an internal resister since i dont see any external resister on my motor

No resistor needed. Coils in capacitive discharge systems do not store energy the same way they do in an Kettering system even though they are built the same . The incoming pulse from the CD pack steps up and discharges immediately in a fraction of the time standard inductive systems fire. Putting a resistor in the run time primary circuit like you would on a points style Kettering system would just result in the resistor burning up and the motor not firing.

emckelvy

Commander

There are quite a few 4895A 2 used coils on eBay for considerably less than $140. These coils rarely go out, so I'd have no issues getting a used one:

mercury 4895 coil | eBay

I'm assuming it's this coil, 'cause earlier engines had a much larger (and more expensive) coil.

If you were to have the older coil, the 4895A 2 coil is a good upgrade and there are likely a lot more of 'em out there.

Note that the latest version of this coil is the 4895T 2 and it looks to me like they replaced the grounding jumper wire with a nice, integrated metal strap. Other than that, looks the same as the old ones.

HTH & G'luck on the repairs..........ed

Attachments

• 4985A 2 Coil_Front.JPG
    4985A 2 Coil_Front.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 4985A 2 Coil_Rear.JPG
    4985A 2 Coil_Rear.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 1

blue bass

Cadet

yes the 4895 A2 is my coil and your link is a major help. hopefully i can get this together and running soon. thanks for all the input much appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Gee, those coils were avail aftermarket for $25 or so. Sierra, Mallory and others probably sell them.

blue bass

Cadet

Heres an update, I got a $20 bwd coil from advance auto and it fired right up. only difference is i have to make bracket to mount the replacement coil to fit the motor. truly amazing as to what alternatives are available. now just waiting on new control cables.

chiefk

Cadet

There are quite a few 4895A 2 used coils on eBay for considerably less than $140. These coils rarely go out, so I'd have no issues getting a used one:

mercury 4895 coil | eBay

I'm assuming it's this coil, 'cause earlier engines had a much larger (and more expensive) coil.

If you were to have the older coil, the 4895A 2 coil is a good upgrade and there are likely a lot more of 'em out there.

Note that the latest version of this coil is the 4895T 2 and it looks to me like they replaced the grounding jumper wire with a nice, integrated metal strap. Other than that, looks the same as the old ones.

HTH & G'luck on the repairs..........ed

I wonder if that coils would substitute for a 336-4409 used on the 1971 mercury 200 20HP?

Status
Not open for further replies.