115 Pro XS CT 4 stroke losing RPM and speed

emilime75

Petty Officer 1st Class
2017 model, serial #2B501681, bought a couple of months ago on a 22' pontoon boat with lifting strakes and under skinning.

4 key time spans, each consisting of a few times out on it.

1st time out - Wouldn't rev past about 2500. Diagnosed/as a bad shift position sensor, problem solved. Also changed oil & filter, gear lube, spark plugs and main fuel filter. Filled it up with fresh gas from about 1/3rd full.

After that and the next 2-3 trips - did fine, revved to 58-5900 RPM and maxed out at about 25-26 MPH. Assumed over propped with a 17P 4 blade, but didn't do anything about it for the time being. Pretty light loads, me and the GF, not much gear, just bare essentials.

Then, on the next 3-5 trips, added some more gear - 2 anchors, life jackets, a LillyPad, cooler, towables...boat slowed. Got to about 57-5800 RPM and top speed reduced to about 20-22 MPH, which I expected. One of these trips was me, the GF, 2 additional adults and 2 kids plus their gear. Didn't make much of a difference in performance. Did run low on fuel between the last 2 trips here, and filled it up with 26 gallons from the marina we're on. No performance changes before/after the fill up, although I was surprised to have used up so much considering we usually cruise out to our spots and anchor for the day. Not a ton of high speed/WOT time and only 1 tubing run of about an hour.

On our final trip, went to start it, it fired up and died 2 seconds later. Fired up again and all seemed fine. This time had 4 adults and 1 child. Couldn't get above 5400 RPM and our top speed was 15 MPH.

No codes and RPM confirmed with a VesselView Mobile. I get that we'd lose some RPM and top speed as we loaded the boat down with more people and gear, but we've had it loaded down more than this trip and it did much better.

Any thoughts on what might be happening? I do think that I need a lesser pitched prop and I believe the motor may be a little too low. However, that doesn't explain the changes we've seen and the diminishing performance over about 10 trips out. I don't believe there's water in the toons as it sits the same as it did when we bought it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Conditions (wind and tide) play a huge roll in fuel usage. Especially on craft with as much windage as a pontoon.

I’m running a boat designed to run in adverse conditions. My fuel usage almost doubles going from flat calm to a 2’ chop.

emilime75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes, but conditions were better than other days when we got better performance out of it.

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my pontoon with a 115CT with a normal load( me, wife and son) I can got up to 5700 rpm at wot with a speed of 28mph. Other day had 6 people and at wot rpm was 5400 and speed was 23mph

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Jeez. Haven’t checked…but I’d think that your numbers would show some serious prop slip. Is the engine set up well ? I’ve got the 115 ct. with a 19” prop at just a little more rpm than you. About 6000…I’ll see 43 mph gps. Different boat of course, 2” more pitch…but still. Sounds like something isn’t right.