115 Primer Solenoid

arnettjs

Seaman Apprentice
First, let me say 'thank you' to everyone who makes this forum what it is. I have received so much great information here, it truly underlines how to utilize technology for the benefit of all (boat owners).

I have a 1992 Cajun 178 with a 1992 Johnson 115 (model J115TLAND). No known issues, been a great bass boat. I put the muffs on it yesterday to run it for a few (been way too hot here in Texas to fish :( ) and had a very hard time getting it started. Primer bulb was nice and hard, could smell the fuel. Long story short, it appears the electric choke isn't working. I pulled the cover, manually moved to red lever on top of the solenoid and the outboard roared to life.

Troubleshooting: Pulled the hot lead going into the solenoid and checked for power...yes, its hot. Also, put key in the 'on' position (outboard off), pushed key in, and I hear a 'clicking' sound at the primer solenoid, almost a 'banging' if that makes sense.

Before I tear into this and order parts, etc, a couple of questions:
1. Is the solenoid bad?
2. Does iBoats sell this solenoid? (I looked and couldn't find it)

Thank you everyone in advance!
Jeff

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 115 Primer Solenoid

I'd pull one of the small primer hoses off the hose barb atop the top carb. To test, prime the hose primer bulb. Turn the key to on, and push in on the key. You should see fuel pulsing out of the small hose. The normal "run" position for the red lever is to be parallel to the length of the solenoid. If it's working ok, reconnect the hose then push in on the key again and check for leaks around the primer solenoid. I've seen that red (schrader) valve crack internally, causing problems-and those two tiny plastic hose barbs on the head of the primer solenoid are very, very delicate and can crack easily

arnettjs

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you very much. I will run this test and report back the findings.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The mtr has to be turning over in the start position, then push the key in. This allows the vro to pump fuel through the primer to bypass carbs for mtr priming. Try it before you do anything.

arnettjs

Seaman Apprentice

The mtr has to be turning over in the start position, then push the key in. This allows the vro to pump fuel through the primer to bypass carbs for mtr priming. Try it before you do anything.

Thank you for the information. Just so I am clear as to my troubleshooting:

1. Put ignition key to the on position but not cranking outboard
2. Pump primer bulb until hard
3. Remove hose from top carb
4. Press ignition key in, thus activating the primer solenoid
5. Fuel should dribble out of disconnect hose

Is the above the correct sequence of events or does the outboard have to be cranking? Thanks for any clarification.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Try This! Leave all fuel lines connected. Pump primer bulb to prime. Turn key to START position and at the SAME time hold it in.This primes the mtr to start. When it starts, release the key. When it's running if the mtr wants to die, just PUSH the key in and the mtr should pick up and run. If this procedure doesn't work you have something wrong in your primer system.

arnettjs

Seaman Apprentice

All,
Sometimes "keep it simple, stupid" is severely underrated. After troubleshooting for a short time, I realized that the primer bulb was not nearly as hard as it should be. I figured that there wasn't adequate fuel pressure, not to mention air entering the system. I replaced the primer bulb, pumped it a few times and the outboard roared to life on the first crank. By pressing the key, the solenoid engages as expected and the engine can be choked as necessary. I love it when a problem is rectified with little $$ and effort. Thanks for all the replies, I learned a lot, especially regarding the solenoid and the supply line going to the carbs.

Until the next issue....safe boating and bass fishing!

GatorMike

Ensign

I know you have it fixed now but just for information sake another test for the primer is to push the key in while engine is running if the primer is working it should flood the carbs and the rpms will go down or the engine may even stall.

arnettjs

Seaman Apprentice

I know you have it fixed now but just for information sake another test for the primer is to push the key in while engine is running if the primer is working it should flood the carbs and the rpms will go down or the engine may even stall.

Yes, excellent information. In fact, that is exactly what I did once the O/B fired up. I let it run for a few then depressed the key, engaging the choke. You could hear the O/B begin to bog down, confirming that my primer solenoid was working. Talk about happy! Now, if I can get this brutal Texas summer to turn into Fall sometime soon, I need to get this boat on the water!

Thanks again, this forum is really wondeful!