115 hp chrysler starting problem

sicleaver

Cadet
Hi all

A newbie here, I have recently acquired a 115 hp chrysler 4 cylinder 2 stroke outboard that hadnt been started for a couple of months. I have cleaned the motor, changed the plugs and fuel hoses/filter and got a new battery. The starter motor turns over fine, but when trying to start cold, it is a bugger to get the plugs firing. One started I can turn on and off at will so long as I dont leave it longer than an hour or so.

I have tried using the choke and the lever which says use when starting in neutral in all different positions but can seem to get it right. The fuel is clean, mixed 50/1 with 2 stroke oil, the breather hole on the tank is open and the fuel bulb new and pumped hard.

There are 2 carbys and alot of fuel drips out of both after a few times of trying to start, am I flooding it, or can anyone offer any more advice? - it is doing my head in!

Many thanks

Si.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 115 hp chrysler starting problem

You may be already doing this. Put motor in neutral, Move Throttle as far forward as it will go in neutral. Usually it is only about a 1/2 inch or so. Prime fuel bulb till hard. When turning key to start push it in and let crank for about 5 or 6 revolutions. Stop. Wait a few seconds and repeat with the 5 or 6 revolutions. Once motor coughs or starts disengage the starter.

If that dont work there are carb mixture adjustments just above the carburator choke plates. Slowly turn these clockwise while counting your turns till it lightly seats. Then turn them back to where they were. How many turns did you make down to the 1/8 turn. After motor has run good say at the end of your boating trip pull the spark plug and describe how the tips look and what type of spark plug are they. Also post your model number. 115 either used L20V or UL18V depending on the motor.

sicleaver

Cadet

Hi Eurolarva, thanks for the speedy reply, I will give the stuff you suggested a go today.... I checked the motor plate, according to that the model is 1158 HOD ?

SImon

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Motor is 1980. Plugs should be L20V

sicleaver

Cadet

Cool, nearly as old as my wife... the plugs I put in are ngk 5626 buhw-2 which I was given by the local shop. Sounds like they may be wrong.

Ill try to get some time to check out the carbys this week.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

The NGK equivilent should be BUH not BUHW2. The L20V and its equivilent BUH are surface gap. BUHW2 are standard plugs that require gapping. L20V are designed to handle the high energy Rise Time that is delivered from the CD ignition their biggest draw back is that they are prone to fouling. I am not saying that these plugs wont work on your motor but if you are having problems I would go back to factory specs. I have read a lot of bad feedback on surface gap plugs and fouling and this may be the reason these were recommended to you for your motor.