100% synthetic 2 stroke oil

Digdug

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are there any known disadvantages to using 100% synthetic 2 stroke oil? (Penzoil 100% synthetic)<br /><br />Thanks

sloopy

Commander
Re: 100% synthetic 2 stroke oil

yes!!! it don't stick that good, and it smells like playdough

BillP

Captain

It costs more and the motor will die from lack of use before it does from wear. <br /><br />Dip an engine part in synthetic and another in regular OB oil. Hang the parts up and come back 2-3 weeks later. Look which oil is still on the parts. The one that stays is the one that will protect your engine during short term storage. The other will give an early death from corrosion...at least in Florida humidity it does. This is a known disadvantage of synthetic. Also, ask your local outboard mechanic if wear is the reason why most outboards are trashed. Bet you a cool one it isn't from running lube wear.

sloopy

Commander

and it smells like playdough!

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Am I missing something here? So it smells like playdough, so what!<br />No wonder the guy's got 700+ posts in two months if all he does is put pointless comments like this!!

sfels

Seaman Apprentice

Check the manual for your motor before using 2-stroke synthetic. Some very specifically say not to use synthetic oil (Force 150 for one).

sloopy

Commander

maybe canadian should get the point of why I am saying that!!!!!!!!!!! Think about it

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

DigDug,<br /> Cost is the only dis-advantage I can think of.TCWIII synthetic has a higher flashpoint(easier to burn)than reg.2cycle oil,therefore it burns cleaner.It also Exceed's NMMA specifications.Penzoil makes a Synthetic Blend,so you can have the best of both worlds. :)

sloopy

Commander

I use the blend, I HAVE no smoke at all, the sythetic smells like playdogh

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer

HEHE,Someone pull Sloopy's nose out of the oil tank please! :D

Sand Bass

Seaman

Good information. I was considering going to 100% synthetic. I will stay with the blend and save some money.<br /><br />Thanks again!

V156

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem,trying to figger which oil to use on my 79 Rude. Because of Dhadley posts about the Pennzoil blend oil,Yepblaze and others I switched to that oil. My motor has never ran better. I'm with Real Appeal. Keep using the blend and have both sides covered. And you can go to Walmart and but it every day or night.<br /><br />Dutch

BillP

Captain

For years I have had experienced mechanics from Merc, OMC and Suzuki all tell me their brand oil burns cleanest, etc. Each based their opinions on tearing down and rebuilding engines and seeing the results. A warranty manager for OMC International (commercial division)told me that any brand oil with the TCW rating was fine and the difference nil...and to decarbonize every season. He told me to use synthetic for racing. <br /><br />I personally always use the manufactures brand pet oil when possible and don't use synthetic. The ONLY reason I don't use synthetic is because it doesn't cling to parts when the engines are down for a month or two. Again, from my previous post, corrosion is a major problem here in Florida and motors generally die from it. That is the ONLY reason why auto lube oil systems give more oil at shutdown. I understand some of the EFI/DFI motor spec synthetic for their auto lube systems because they are so sensitive to viscosity.<br /><br />Also, if you have buildup at 100 hrs of running the problem is not what type oil it is. Any oil will burn clean at 100 hrs. 500 hrs is a more realistic benchmark and 1000 hrs better. Expect 2000 hrs out of major brand 2 strokes on regular pet oil...

my new fishmaster

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had bad luck with synthetics not what they are cracked up to be.

Jango

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Reel Appeal said it earlier, "With a Blend, you get the Best of Both Worlds"

butlp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sloopy,<br />I must be stupid as I still don't get the point!!! What the heck are you trying to say? Why can't you just tell us in English what you mean and if its only "It smells like playdough" then I will know I'm not the stupid one after all :confused:

sloopy

Commander

think about it a little more, its a play on words :) get it PLAY DOUGH which could mean useless Money? get get!!!! I crack my self up :)