10 HP Johnson fuel filter bowl question

dougandmel

Cadet
I recently bought a 10 HP, 1963 Johnson Seahorse, model QD-24. I pump the primer bulb, and the glass fuel filter bowl fills up with gas. It starts and will idle ok in a large garbage can with water. The problem I have is that the glass fuel bowl will go to almost empty (maybe 1/4" of fuel in the bottom of the bowl). Also, the primer bulb will get soft. If I pump it up the bowl fills up again, but when I stop pumping it, the bowl goes down again. Is this normal? The engine idles ok when the bowl is low, but I'm thinking it should stay full (I say this because I have a simialr fuel bowl/filter on a ford 9N tractor, and it's always full when running). If this is indeed abnormal, what would cause this to happen? It will fast idle ok, so I don't think it's the fuel pump. I haven't had a chance to take it out on the water yet, so I don't know what will happen when I turn the throttle wide open. Will it run, or stall out due to fuel starvation? Thanks for your help, Doug. Oh, I almost forgot, I do have the vent open on the fuel tank.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 10 HP Johnson fuel filter bowl question

Your primer bulb should not be getting soft. If it has been sitting awhile or the bulb is old the rubber maybe dryrotted. You can buy a new hose with bulb and fittings for around $20-$25 at any Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Bass Pro Shops or a Johnson dealer which is around you. Some auto parts store stock these also but usually only in large boating towns.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OK, here is the facts of life: Those glass bowls do not stay full. Never have and never will. In fact, nearly empty is the norm. Don't ask me for a scientific answer as to why, but that's just the way it is.

As for the primer bulb: When you squeeze it and the carb gets full and shuts off the flow, the primer fulb gets firm because there is nowhere for the gas to go. But when you start the motor, conditions within the hose and bulb go from a pressure situation from you mashing on the bulb, to a suction situation as the fuel pump is drawing fuel uphill from the tank. That means the bulb will no longer be "hard". But it will firm up if you give it a squeeze or two and again reverse the situation from a suction to a pressure. Am I making sense?

pgdignan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is your motor one of the 2 line pressure tank jobs? I had to convert my 58 5.5 hp over to single line and install a fuel pump, even with the fuel pump and conversion I noticed the fuel bowl is sometimes below full and OCCASSIONALLY required a pump or two after running at low speed to put a bit more fuel in the bowl.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

question is, after you shut the engine off, is there still enough fuel pressure in the line to crank & run the engine without having to re-prime? If not, there's a fuel leak in the system or maybe an air leak. Or maybe the bulb is worn out.

highly recommend spending the extra $7 or so to get the BRP or other major outboard brand of primer bulb, aftermarket have a poor reputation for reliability.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

BTW, you shouldn't run it in a barrel at more than a fast idle also.

wbeaton

Commander

Doesn't sound like a problem to me. FR, has explained it perfectly.

dougandmel

Cadet

Thanks for the quick responses, you guys are great. This outboard is new to me, and I'm trying to get a handle on it, so your help is most appreciated.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

The 10's are great engines. I have a few of them...

hammerhandle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the same ? on my 63' 18 hp johnson, FR and samo -ott are correct, make sure your fittings are secure and head to the lake!!!nothing to worry about.