1.7 cummins turbo diesel swap

GasGasXC

Cadet
I have a 2001 1.7 DTI turbo diesel mated to an Alpha 1 Gen 2 outdrive with a 2.0 ratio.The engine is in need of a full rebuild and has been pulled.Ive decided that whatever swap I was going to use would require leaving the Gen 2 drive in place.I looked at other options and as it applies to my specific requirements and considerations swapping the drive makes no sense for me.

I found a 1990 Blue water ski boat with a 4.3 and a Alpha Gen 1 drive with a 1.84 ratio.
I have decided to use the 4.3 and mate it up to the Gen 2 drive and just sell the Alpha gen 1.Its in good shape and has 162 total hours on it.

The Cummins is a straight 4 and the 4.3 has a Y pipe.one user has already said that that shouldn't be a problem.

Rear motor mounts should line up according to the same users information from a previous thread and then use an alignment bar and shim-adjust(my own words) to fit.

The shifting should not be a problem.Ill be able to use my existing shifter set up with remote on the 4.3 as it has all its throttle and shifting linkage mounted to the engine itself akin to the Cummins 1.7 I am removing.A transom mounted shift plate was not an option.

Steering shouldn't be a problem as the existing hydraulic steering set up mounts directly to the Gen 2 inner transom plate via 2 bolts top and bottom.As long as something unforeseen with the engine doesn't get in the way.
The Alpha gen 1 set up used a belt driven power steering pump that ran off the 4.3.Not sure what Im going to do with the pump but there are a few options and all are easy and straight forward enough.

The 1.7 Cummins was cooled through a raw water heat exchanger which was a nice set up for salt water use.The 4.3 looks like a straight forward raw water setup which kind of sucks but it is what it is.

Ive got the complete boat and will be using the 1990 Blue water 4.3 wiring harness in its entirety and building a new gauge cluster and plate for my dory.Just using Tach as the main gauge.Water temp-Oil pressure-And Battery Amp gauge.Keeping it simple and tidy.In this application no need for trim gauge-fuel gauge-Or Speedo-or any switches As the boat already is wired with a complete accessory panel.

If anybody see a potential problem mating the older 4.3 to the newer Gen 2 outdrive let me know.

A question--
Will the upper gear set in the A Gen 1 outdrive interchange with the A Gen 2 drive.

Its a heavy work boat so Im not sure the difference between 1.84 and 2.0 is that big of a deal.

What kind of mileage can I expect out of this early 4.3 with a 2 barrel??
Boat weighs about 3600 pounds approx. factoring in the weight of the 4.3.Rough Ballpark
Bait-fuel-gear loaded about 4000 lbs

Thx for the help

alldodge

Staff member
Will the upper gear set in the A Gen 1 outdrive interchange with the A Gen 2 drive.

No, different cases

Its a heavy work boat so Im not sure the difference between 1.84 and 2.0 is that big of a deal.

The ski boat is light and this is the reason for the 1.84 ratio, it could spin the prop faster. I would stick with the 2.0

The 4.3 will add around 250 pounds in the swap (4.3 = 775 and 1.7 = 535)

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Can?t see a problem, apart from the engine mounts. New ones would need to be glassed in.
You will likely need a pretty serious pitch prop now too. At least 23? I?d think. Best try things out when you get to that stage though.
Those 1.7l are pretty popular over here...for a while. Turns out they just aren?t too reliable.
Expect a big difference in running costs though. Not that the 4.3 is that terrible....just that the 1.7 is that good on fuel.

GasGasXC

Cadet
Are the splines on the drives the same?Are the length of the yokes the same?Do I just pull the 4.3 in its entirety and use the coupler and flywheel cover?
Just pull the 4.3 and slid it onto the Alpha 2 drive and the rear motor mounts set the depth as far as front to back?
Cud it be that simple??

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
why did you start another thread on the same topic?

an no, the drives are NOT the same
2.0:1 is 4-banger gear sets, wont be able to use as is with the 4.3, recommend re-gear

could simply drop a 3.0 in front of the 2.0 geared alpha

if your dead set on a 4.3, look at 1996 and later

GasGasXC

Cadet
Easy pal.
Keep it civil.

I started a new thread because this is a completely different swap and I am going in a new direction.
What I was asking in the other thread is not applicable to what I am working on now.
And their was some confusion because my posts were not being read completely through or I miscommunicated in some way.
Doesn't matter.
My thread wasn't "Hey guys what motor swap do you think I should go with"?.

So I am looking for specific answers to specific questions.Not opinions.
What can be done.What cannot be done and why.

That being said.
Did you specifically answer my questions as it applies to will the early 4.3 mate up to the Gen 2 drive?
If you did I missed the reasons why it will not.
If its just the gear ratio I am not worried about that at this point.
Ill knock those pins down as they come.
One user already thinks the 2.0 is a good ratio for a heavier work boat.
This boat is working in tight quarters loaded and mostly in lower rpm ranges and at lower speeds.It is not a race boat ski boat go fast boat

So that I am clear.Are you saying the early 4.3 will not slip onto the Alpha Gen 2 drive?
Or are you saying if it was you that you would go with a later engine.
And why??

Several users have already stated they do not see a problem.
But I am asking about specifically-Yoke length-splines-flywheel cover-and coupler.
And interchangeability of the gear ratio as in can I use the Gen 1 upper gears in the Gen 2 if it comes to that.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
But I am asking about specifically-Yoke length-splines-flywheel cover-and coupler.
And interchangeability of the gear ratio as in can I use the Gen 1 upper gears in the Gen 2 if it comes to that.

Ayuh,.... The '90 4.3l will drop into the Gen.II transom houisin', bobtail motor, for bobtail motor, Yes,....
There might be some minor pins to knock down, nothin' serious,...

The upper units of the drives will not interchange, I doubt the gears do, but am not certain either,....
Yer gonna need Big pitch in the prop I think to make that drive work for ya,...

GasGasXC

Cadet
I'm going with it then.The majority of you say green light.That's good enough for me.Thx to all of you.I appreciate the info.

GasGasXC

Cadet
I did do something that I now regret. I pulled the outdrive off the Gen 2 thinking I was going to swap everything out.
So bummer.Extra work and B.S. I didn't wanna have to deal with getting that thing thrown back together.

GasGasXC

Cadet
Ow.OK.
Alignment Roger

Guess I was thinking maybe I cudda got away with bypassing that step when I got to it somehow.

Lots of good YouTube Vids on aligning the engine with the alignment bar.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You need the bar to place the two side motor mounts too. The motor can't just be dropped in.

Bondo

Staff member
I guess I was thinking I could just slide it in-on whatever.
Ill take your word for it.

Ayuh,... Ya set the rear motor mounts together, slide in the alignment bar, to see exactly where the front motor mount blocks need to be built up too,....

GasGasXC

Cadet
Ayuh,... Ya set the rear motor mounts together, slide in the alignment bar, to see exactly where the front motor mount blocks need to be built up too,....

Ok.I cant picture it yet.Ill see it when I get in there probably.Looks like there isn't much to adjust on the rear mounts other then maybe shimming the height.

Are the Alpha Gen 2 props interchangeable with the Alpha Gen 1 props?
Are the lift cylinders-trim cylinders interchangeable?

alldodge

Staff member
The rear mounts do not get shimmed, if they will not align, then the rear mount bushings get replaced

Gen 1 and 2 props are the same

GasGasXC

Cadet
Have a question.
Started to pull the out drive off of the donor boat I bought for my engine swap.As I separated the drive from the bellhousing anti freeze started pouring out so I slammed it back in.

Now I'm guessing since the engine is raw water cooled that it was winterized in some way.

My question is.What keeps the antifreeze from leaking out the out drive water pickup vents on the lower unit?
Does the water pump impellor keep the water in the system?

I've read through some of the winterizing threads but I'm not getting the complete picture.

Just drain the antifreeze out and then pull the out drive and keep on rolling??

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Just pull the drive, 'n let it drip out,... shouldn't only be a tiny bit in the feed hose, no problem,....

If there's more than that, probably in the bellows, the o-ting wasn't put in-place when it was installed,....
Still no problem, it's waste now that's done it's job I guess,.... I store dry,.....

GasGasXC

Cadet
Are the inner transom plates for the gimbal housing outdrive-(The piece that bolted to the inside of the boat that the steering attaches too)-Is that piece interchangeable Alpha 1 Gen 1 with Alpha 1 Gen 2?
Is any of the gimbal housing twisty up and down wiggly pieces interchangeable between the 2 drives?