06 TLDI 40 tohatsu won't idle

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice
Engine won't idle and stay running when put into gear... Stalls out. However when I quickly crank and throw it into gear and about 30% throttle it will cat h and stay running... Also it will run up ok too.. But when I slow down to idle it will conk out...any recommendations? Plugs pretty old. Been in there since new... 2006.. Mayb 300 hrs on them. Haven't pulled them out yet... I have a new spare set that I bought when I bought the motor. Was just wondering if this sounded like a plug problem. Thnx Josh

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 06 TLDI 40 tohatsu won't idle

I have always run 93 octane in this engine... Recently I had a tohatsu tech tell me it made no difference. So last two tanks have been 87 octane... Just wondering if there might of been a connection with fuel of some sort. Thnx

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

If no difference at all between both octane fuels, the highest one should have better additives and make engine stay cleaner if no carbon guard is poured into tank, 300 hours plugs is a lot specially if they never been cleaned or regapped from new. Change for new ones correctly gapped and check. Probably your idle rpm is set to low ?

Happy Boating

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Change plugs made a little bit of a difference for a few seconds but then it went back to exhaling and loading up. If acts like there's not enough air at low RPM and the mixture is rich GPS is not showing any codes. A lot more exhaust smoke (rich) than before.

pvanv

Admiral

What did the old plugs look like? Has it had the extra smoke for a while? Have you changed types of oil? What oil are you running? Is your battery fresh, and at least 1000-amp capacity? Might be time to get to a dealer for a checkout, including verifying the oil system calibration, and verifying that the injectors (both air and fuel) are operating correctly. After 6 or 7 years, not a bad idea to have a dealer check it out. Likewise, at that age, if the water pump hasn't been serviced, it's definitely overdue.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Only fuel octane change... Never had a moments trouble with motor... New battery w 950 cca. Tohatsu oil, impeller changed once a year. Old plugs looked good except for the fresh soot/carbon coating. It did same thing to new plugs. Whatever it's doing is causing the plugs to get dirty.. It has never smoked or sputtered before. Always burnt clean. Never any dirty exhaust smell... Runs out great at upper rpms... Just wont idle for more than 5 secs or when I put into gear. I'm gonna carry to dealer tmrw.. Mayb bad injector air or fuel, tps sensor reset or whatever... Just at people's mercy at this time of year... Lookin for Christmas bonus off of every job...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Buy a manual, throw the engine into diagnostic mode and it will tell you what is wrong.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Im installing a tach that I got from my dealer. It has the warning lights at btm and is a factory tldi tach. I got it installed and the warning lights and backlight is working but I'm not getting any RPM reading... Hooked up according to instructions and service manual.. Any suggestions?

pvanv

Admiral

Where did you connect the sensor wire?

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Yellow to yellow, white to white,
The black to black, light blue to light blue, the plug just plugs into the harness where the other warning light pigtail was... I pulled to black rubber plug out of back and looked inside... Didn't adjust... No way to tell if its on 2,4,6p....

pvanv

Admiral

Yellow to yellow, white to white,
The black to black, light blue to light blue, the plug just plugs into the harness where the other warning light pigtail was... I pulled to black rubber plug out of back and looked inside... Didn't adjust... No way to tell if its on 2,4,6p....

Did you forget to supply +12v to the Red wire to power the meter?

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

The black and blue are for the backlight...the white and yellow are the only single wires other than the plug for the warning lights(oil batt water) There is no single red wire. There is a red wire in the plug and yes it has power to it... I'll try and get a pic posted...

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Ok.. I have went over the wiring till I can do blindfolded, it's wired correctly according to the service manual... Brand new TLDI factory tach... There is power to the tach but will not read RPM's. I posted a video on you tube that shows what it's doing... I called the local tohatsu dealer to discuss and all I got was a short reply of "well, something's wired wrong or the rectifie ris bad"... This is the same guy that I had to really push to just order me parts before.. To say the least he doesn't want to help unless I bring the motor to him... Never more than a quick comment and that's it... Very aggravating when he his short and not willing to spend more than 5 seconds with me unless I bring him my boat... So my question is... "Can I check the volts at the rectifier?" ..does the rectifier help charge the electrical system at low rpm's? Could this be contributing to the low idle stumble? Any help is appreciated...

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Since you don't want to pay the dealer to fix the problem, you should contact Tohatsu tech support and they will assist you in determining what is wrong. 972-323-6003.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

It's not an issue of not wanting to pay as much as it is I'm not able to pay... The boat was a gift and the motor was a gift 6 years ago... I will carry to the dealer for things I cannot perform... However a tach with 7 wires and a wiring diagram I can do... So I can pay that fee towards a bigger fix... Don't want the dealer to have to charge me for something I could have done... I will carry the boat to him once I get the tach fixed... I just can't afford a large bill at this time. Sorry.

pvanv

Admiral

At this point, operating without the Factory service manual, you will at least need the assistance of someone who has access to the electrical diagnostic procedures. Tohatsu Tech Support may be able to guide you through the testing/diagnosis. Telephone: 214-420-6440 (Office hours are Mon - Fri 8AM - 5PM CST.)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's not an issue of not wanting to pay as much as it is I'm not able to pay... The boat was a gift and the motor was a gift 6 years ago... I will carry to the dealer for things I cannot perform... However a tach with 7 wires and a wiring diagram I can do... So I can pay that fee towards a bigger fix... Don't want the dealer to have to charge me for something I could have done... I will carry the boat to him once I get the tach fixed... I just can't afford a large bill at this time. Sorry.

I wasn't judging you. I'm just trying to point you in the right direction. If you have hooked up everything correctly ( I don't know how anyone could make a mistake since it's color coded), then something has been overlooked or something is defective. Tohatsu tech support will work with you over the phone to determine what is wrong. So, they are your best choice at this point. Chances are the tach itself is bad or that you have a bad ECM. They can help you to resolve that issue.

pvanv

Admiral

Hopefully it's not the ECU, as that part (There are 2 different versions, depending on your serial number) costs over $1300.00 MSRP.

Only120jman

Seaman Apprentice

Ok thanks. I have the factory service manual. I didn't think I was being judged, was only giving explanation of why I hadn't carried to dealer yet. I would love to carry and drop it off and just show back up and take it home... Just tryin to do what I can do before I carried it in. Anyways, it's wired correctly according to manual and instructions... I found another dealer on tohatsu website but hrs gone till after new year. I'll get it to him in January. Hope y'all have a great cmas and new year. I'll update when I get news. Thanks again Elvin and Paul