03 50 horse Mercury 4 stroke voltage regulator melted down

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 03 50 horse Mercury 4 stroke voltage regulator melted down

It's no longer charging the batttery. Get a new one and make sure the battery connections are clean and tight or you'll fry the new one too. That's what usually takes them out that way. Poor battery connections.

mikerino

Cadet

So... If I remove it will the motor run?

Sig_Mech

Seaman

It probably will but why take the chance. Without a voltage regulator your battery will not charge and your engines electrical and ignition system will affected by abnormal voltages. Why take the chance of possibly burning out another piece of equipment and getting stranded somewhere you don't want to be. Replace your regulator and listen to WillyB.

mikerino

Cadet

I would like to replace my voltage regulator but the stupid thing is on backorder at my Marina and I go on an anual trip very soon. The part is not due to ship until 7/9, the first day of the trip. Anyone know where I can get one fast? I am calling local marinas to see if anyone has one in stock.

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mercury's ordering system is in caos and will be for some time. They switched to a new computer software system that has crashed and left them in trouble world wide. They are having to go back to the 40's as far as ordering. Lots of luck.........Jerry

mikerino

Cadet

I am finding out that you are so right. Any other opinions on whether I should run it without the part?