01 johnson 115 Ocean Pro VRO worries

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Can anyone give me some advise, have heard of and seen alot of late model Ocean Pro's like mine with blown powerheads due to VRO failure's mine does not seem to be using that much oil compared to the amount of fuel being used is it safer to just go back to mixing, if so how do i bypass the alarm :confused:

D

DJ

Re: 01 johnson 115 Ocean Pro VRO worries

jomac,<br /><br />The VRO system has been blamed (wrongly) for more blown powerheads than anything else.<br /><br />The VRO system works well as long as you maintain it. That involves dumping the old oil, once a year, and refilling with fresh. Make sure to pre-mix until oil useage is verified.<br /><br />Also, make sure you alarms are working.

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

djohns 19 ------I only use omc oil & the alarms and waring lights go thru there test mode when cranking(have the OMC multi-function tach) but, ihave not been dumping unused oil from season to season, asked the question before i ran a search (sorry JB bad boy :( ) seems it's a matter of personal choice, darn thing just worries me, I guess i need to start keeping a log book gals. fuel used per qts of oil see what it works out to :rolleyes: Thanks anyway

D

DJ

jomac,<br /><br />The reason I mention cleaning is because water seems to find its way into some oil tanks.<br /><br />Water has no lubricating qualities. :eek:

clanton

Rear Admiral

The self test on the alarm system does test the wire to sensor or the sensor. The self test is only for the warning lights and horn. You should do as djohns19 says on the remote tank, and check the hoses and clamps. Record use of fuel and oil, should use oil at a rate of 50/60 to 1. I sometimes clamp the oil hose closed with small C-clamp until oil alarm sounds to check the system, should be using 50/1 fuel mix when doing this. When alarm sounds release clamp, pump should pickup oil and turn off alarm without using the oil primer bulb.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Water in the tank is by far the #1 reason for oil pump related failures. Those with remote fills seem to be the worst.<br /><br />BTW - you should have a constant ratio (50:1) pump - not the Variable Ratio Oiling.<br /><br />Good luck!

jomac

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all ,clanton think i try your method of checking the sensor ,this weekend i'am draining everything,check compresson,change plugs hopefully i can get to the water soon,having DT'sssss - :D salt cravings :D