Motor Hasn't been started in ten years

Link

Rear Admiral
First I'm doing this for someone else. They just moved out here and don't have a computer hooked up yet. So any direct questions that I need to answer may take a day.<br /><br />Here is why I volunteered to be a third party.<br />When Mike asked the boat mechanic where he wants to store it the kid told him to just put some gas in the tank and fire it up. It didn't sound right to him so he asked me and I went well nuts! <br /><br />Made him and his wife promise not to even hook up the battery until I could get them some information. They agreed.<br /><br />His 81 year old step father gave this boat to them because they really like fishing and are busting their butts off to earn a living and can't afford one right now. <br /><br />1973 Seaswirl Pogprig<br />Hull ID BRCD015BM73E<br />Motor 1973 65HP Johnson Seahorse<br />Model 65ESL73<br />Ser Nm J3843799<br /><br />Now here is why I gave all the above information and made them promise not to touch it until I could get back with them.<br /><br />This boat motor and trailer package was bought new in 1973. Between 1973 and 1994 was only used<br />four times in fresh water lakes! <br /><br />Your reading this right. Trust me I've grilled them for a week to confirm this from step dad.<br /><br />4 / four / fore / times. Each of the four times he disconnected the gas line and let it run out and dumped the gas in the tank. washed and dried the boat then put it back into his garage and disconnected the battery.<br /><br />This boat is in MINT condition! I will post pics of the happy boaters after we get them on the water. As I told them, motor and lower unit first.. then the rest.<br /><br />They want to do it right. <br /><br />Thanks.. this is why IBOAT! Pun intended! :) <br /><br />Link

even125

Seaman
Re: Motor Hasn't been started in ten years

For me the minimum in this situation would be.1 check/change impeller. 2 Pour oil down plug holes and sit overnight then turn it over by hand a fair few times. 3. run double oil for the first while d idle it for 15 minutes before running under load. 5 Check lower leg oil volume before starting and change for new oil after first run.<br />4 Consider very highly the need for a carbie rebuild before ever putting it in gear.<br />Some might know better or more, good luck that motor deserves a long life. Scott

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like good advice to me!! Don't forget to get a new battery(Obviously). New spark plugs. Make sure steering is not frozen up. Same with the throttle and shift. Lube all points that require it(Grease fittings, Ect.). Definetly a new water pump before starting it. No way it's any good after sitting that long. Fuel tank vent clear? New gas in tank? Other than that, just follow even125's advice and keep posting for more advice as you go...

rwise

Captain

WOW what a find! can we get pictures of it?<br />check for rodent nests also. and make sure the wireing is not brittle.

BF

Lieutenant

In addition to what's been said already, I'd inspect the fuel lines to fuel pump and carbs etc... they can crack / dry rot. Even if they don't look bad, give 'em a close inspection again after the boat's been run a while. They could have hardened and start crackin' when they start getting vibrated again.<br /><br />Ditto on inspecting the fuel line to the tank and the primer bulb... might've petrified since '73.<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Brent

Link

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the replies .. it will give them a place to start. Made a print copy and will give it to them this evening.<br /><br /><br />Link

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Great find.<br />Don't forget to check the wiring harness;mice love to chew on it.If you can, blow out the water cooling system to make sure it is not clogged up by 30 generations of spidernests.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

rings might not even be broke-in yet so the double oil at break in rpm might be a good start after you are comfy enough to get it on the water...just a thought :)

Link

Rear Admiral

Didn't get out for coffee until late this evening so was able to incude all remarks. She is working the graveyard shift tonight and took the time to read and ask question. Well keep you guys posted.<br /><br />Oh BTW they are signing up for a coast gaurd saftey course :)

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, great find. I had a similar situation last year. got my Dads 1971 boat, repowered by my dad in 1978 & then only used about 30 hrs! <br />My boat wasn't as mint though>>I had to replace the transome, the wood core rotted. Just to be on the safe side>>>Check the washers inside, on the engine mounting bolts & make sure they have not pulled into the transome. Even tough it was garage kept & only floated a few times, its still old, and was wet a few times. (fresh water will rot wood faster then salt!)<br />My engine>>>pulled the plugs & squirted Marval Mystery Oil into the cylinders>>turned by hand a few times & squirted more oil in. Turned with the starter motor a few seconds before replacing the plugs>>>it fires right up & smoked like heck until the excess oil burned off. (hook up cooling water before starting)<br />Then did all the above mentioned work>>pump/lube/carb rebuild/ect... . RUNS like a new engine now. GOOD LUCK!

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a great boat. I think all suggestions here are good. I would be surprised If they get away without having to rebuild the carbs on the down side. But minor if thats the case even better if not. PS water pump replacement I would say a absolute must. Dry rotted rubber fins could break apart and plug coolant passages within the power head itself,major trouble if that happens.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

someone told me the outer head gasket could be busted. (the one to the left of the head) Do I need to take the outer head off or just the head with the spark plugs attached? If I take the head off could I tell if there are any coolant blockages?

woodducker

Seaman

i think you might have the wrong post. this is from 2004.