WOT RPM's For Evinrude 120 HP

olmpilot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When I recently bought my boat, it didn't come with a manual for the boat or engine (it's a 1989). I have been reading some posts here about RPM's and WOT, but wonder if anyone knows where I can find the published recommended RPM ranges for my model engine for some testing of performance. It's a 1989 Evinrude 120 HP, model E120TLCEM.<br /><br />Thanks!

jjboor

Seaman
Re: WOT RPM's For Evinrude 120 HP

Hi Rick!<br /><br />I just did the same thing: buy my first boat with a '88 Evinrude 120 HP VRO. And I just ordered a manual. I suggest you do the same thing. there you can find your RPMS and everything else even here in the Netherlands they come quite cheaply and really are worth their money. I suggest you take good care of your VRO pump as well(maybe even run on VRO and premix for a while until you are sure the vro works) and have your engine checked replace impellor, sparkplugs, oils etc. Because you really will have an Issue with yourself if you damage your Rude because you failed to do so before boating.<br /><br />As for the RPMS? I dunno. I'm still waiting for my manual.<br />Well happy boating and hope you get your RPMS.<br /><br /><br />Jan-Jaap Boor

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The rev limiter is at either 6200 or 6700 depending on which power pack you have. If you set up your V4 looper at about 6000 with an average load (right where yours is) it will last a very long time. Feed it a good diet of fresh 87 octane and quality oil. And Champion plugs only. <br /><br />Good luck!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

BTW -- never run a looper under a load with the airbox cover off.

olmpilot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dutch, where did you order your manual from ? Here on iboats from the manual section? I didn't know you could run pre-mix and VRO at the same time. I'm pretty sure the VRO pump is working because each time I take it out I check the oil and it has gone down some, so I top it off.<br /><br />DHadley, more silly questions: But what is the looper and the airbox cover? Guess I need to get that manual asap!!<br /><br />Thanks!

olmpilot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dutch, I did buy it from a dealer and they went through it and I went over it with the mechanic (not the salesman) and they checked and tuned it and I have confidence in them (more a gut feeling than knowing what he was doing or saying as is obvious from my questions). But I have been getting a ton of info here and is helping me learn a lot to make sure everything is right and good. :) So far so good... <br />Rick

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

A looper refers to the basic design of an engine like yours. <br /><br />The airbox is the cover over the carbs. Its OK to run at idle without the front cover but you dont want to run it under a load with the cover off. A looper will run very lean. Damage is likely.