1971 Evinrude, 50 HP, Hydro Electric Shift

FloronGlenn

Cadet
Pulled gear case to replace impeller. Impeller was rusted to the drive shaft. Cut it off with dremel tool, could not get key out. Put in new impeller following the manual. Had to go with old key. Could not get impeller plate off due to rusted key so did not change the plate. Put it back together, not getting any water thru motor. Any suggestions?<br /><br />To get the gear case off, had to cut the blue and green wires going to the shift solenoids. Spliced them back together (thought I did a good job), tight fit getting them back under the solenoid cover, but got them in. Have neutral and reverse, but no forward. Had it before. Could my splice job be the culprit? Going to tear it down AGAIN tomorrow, any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Evinrude, 50 HP, Hydro Electric Shift

Hey Glenn....The shift harness wires come out on the starboard side of the engine under the hood. There should be two wires (green and blue) with tube type covers. If you pull the tubes back, you will see knife connectors. Disconnect and tie a strong string to the wires going to the gear case and remove the lower unit. The string will help guide the shift harness back into the opening.<br /><br />You don't have a manual do you? Get one. Save yourself a lot of trouble and get one. Yes your splice could be the culprit.<br /><br />How do you know your not getting water through the engine? Did it overheat? If so, your problem could be a bad t-stat. It's located at the bottom of the head under the head cover. Thats the thin cover on the head held on by about 13 or 14 bolts.<br /><br />Keep us posted. Thanks.

alcan

Commander

OBJ, He probably has a manual. He probably uses it like my kid does. They wave it over the project like some magic wand. When this fails to produce results, they use them for knee pads. Who ever heard of actually reading the book?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You've given me hope alcan.....I thought my kids were the only ones that don't read....