hydro e lower unit

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled my lower unit(hydroelectric)on my 3 cyl. johnson (1971-65hp?) as I had no forward gear, just reverse and nuetral. The solenoids and wiring check out fine as does the plunger. I found that if I lift on the drive shaft while turning the prop shaft will turn but you can stop it with your hand. Without lifting driveshaft i get a ratchety feeling when turning. I want to disassemble it but have no manual for this unknown motor. I have removed all the bolts but need help on removing the bearing carrier and driveshaft. Do i need a puller? I have a lot of tools and auto experience but don't want to wreck this unit. Any thoughts or info is appreciated.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: hydro e lower unit

hello<br /> you will need a manual. get one. you will need a puller . some I can use an automotive harmonic balancer puller and 3/8ths all thread. the two holes if the carrier has them are 5/16ths from the factory and if they are not stripped you can try them first. usually they stip and ya have to tap it 3/8ths. then you will need a set of 12" tru-arc snap ring pliers. there are 2 and possibly 3 snap rings depending on your model. without looking at your unit its hard to say. they made a lot of changes in the 4 years they produced them.<br /> you will also need a drive shaft holding/turning tool so you can remove and retorque the pinion gear nut.<br /> good luck and keep posting but it may be best to allow a trained tech with the proper tools to deal with the unit.

alcan

Commander

If you don't have a manual because you can not determine the exact year of your motor, don't worry, just get an after market Clymer book at cover the year span that your motor falls into. this will serve most of your needs. Then if there are differences beyond that, we can probably help you with those.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the puller and the snap ring pliers. The threads are not stripped. I just didn't want to start pulling on it without some knowledge. I have taken out the bolts behind the prop inside the housing. Is this all that holds the carrier in so I can start pulling?

ledgefinder

Ensign

Did you already try the ATF?<br /><br />The Seloc/Coles manual (1958-72 50-125hp) is decent if you don't have the factory one. After the 4 small bolts, you need to remove the two snap rings (careful they don't take an eye out). Then your bearing carrier should have two threaded holes aft right by the prop seals to put the puller in. If your's doesn't have those holes, post back. A regular automotive harmonic damper puller will work here - make sure you get the right threads though. You may need to head the case a bit.

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

I tried the atf, ran the motor for about 30 minutes shifting the gears. Reverse and nuetral but no forward. Where are the snap rings? I havent seen any? Also, have changed fluid several times but no metal comes out, so maybe not so bad.

ledgefinder

Ensign

Oops,you're right you won't see them until you get the bearing carrier out. (The snap rings are in front of it.)