evinrude Carrier Bearing Removal

bob_48

Recruit
I have a 1993 Evinrude 48 Special that needs the lower unit rebuilt. The gears gave up the ghost. I dropped the lower unit and am trying to remove the carrier bearing from the prop shat and I am not having any luck. The manual shows that it just pulls out, any suggestions to make this jog easier.<br />Thanks<br />Bob

Walker

Captain
Re: evinrude Carrier Bearing Removal

There are 3 or 4 bolts way down inside that have to come out and you'll need a puller to get the bearing carrier out.

Walker

Captain

You're right Bob. My book shows 2 different types. The are both held in with small blocks that slip into a groove at the propshaft end of the housing and are held in place with 1 bolt each. If you are looking at the same blow-up picture that I am, they are bolts #52 and you have to remove those 2 little blocks that it shows above and below the bearing carrier in the picture.

bob_48

Recruit

Walker,<br />I have those removed and still no luck. I guess the heat wrench is the next tool of choice.<br />Thanks<br />Bob

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

You'll also need two thread'd rods and a "bridge" to act as a puller. With a little propane heat it should come out with a little patience!! BTW, If you don't invesat in a factory service manual, you should!!

bob_48

Recruit

Thanks, I do have a manual but it is not a factory one. I will try this tomorrow.<br />Bob

bob_48

Recruit

Thanks to all that offered advice, but I gave up and decided to take the lower unit to a shop. I figured since I was having this much trouble at the start it would only get harder as the job progressed.<br />Bob

bonitoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The johnson lowere units have three long bolt and two big snap rings that you need a special tool to remove. Even if you had removed the bolts you would still need to remove the snap rings to get the prop shaft out. Also there is a nut on the bottom of the pininon gear to remove the foward gears.