68 Johnson 9.5 / prop won't engage

im4dbucs

Cadet
I bought this older motor and have used it without any issues for about a year. Although the motor runs great it seems the prop won't engage. It spins freely in neutral. There is resistance (I can't turn the prop by hand) when it's in gear and the motor is not running. <br /><br />MQ-14E<br />J2888658<br /><br />I think it's a 1968 but am not certain. I replaced the broken shear pin and thought I had rectified the situation. Much to my dismay, when I last took it out the prop still would not engage. <br /><br />I've talked to a local outboard repair shop and they're telling me it's not worth fixing because I won't be able to find parts and if I do they'll be so expensive that I'd be better of just buying another motor. Kind of a lazy dude who didn't want my nickel I guess. He sent me packing. <br /><br />I'm really intersted in rising to the challenge and fixing this classic motor. It starts on the 1st pull everytime and I just hate the thought of writing it off. <br /><br />Any advice on where to start, what might be the problem and a place where parts can be obtained for such an old motor would be greatly appreciated. <br /><br />Also, there are several manuals available and I'd like to know if there is an especially good one for this motor. <br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help that anyone might be able to offer. <br /><br />Go Bucs!

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 68 Johnson 9.5 / prop won't engage

Your engine is a '68 and congratz for opting to fix it rather than flush it. Parts are available.<br />I don't know if your prop has a hud that might be spun or not. Getting a manual is the hot ticket. I prefer the factory manual but the after-market ones are o-k. You can get one of those right here from iboats. You can look on ebay for a factory manual or try this link.<br /><br /> http://www.kencook.com/ <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ob

Admiral

I believe Hooty was refering to a hub .Inspect the shift linkage to insure that it is actuating shift fork into gear.If so ,you'll likely have to drop lower unit and inspect for damage.<br />You can also obtain a factory manual from<br />www.marineengine.com

im4dbucs

Cadet

I have taken the 4 bolts out to remove the lower unit and I can pull it apart about 1/4 inch. If I pry it I can see 2 nuts that hold what looks like a clamp around a rod which goes into the lower unit. <br /><br />i was reading through some old posts and my take is that I need to mark where the clamps attach on the rod and then remove them. From what I've read this should enable me to pull it right off. <br /><br />Am I on the mark?

im4dbucs

Cadet

In addition when I look at the prop after removing it it seems to be made of two different types of metal. <br /><br />If I had "spun" the prop I would think I could move the hub inside the prop. It may be that my fingers don't have the torque that my drive shaft does. Are there any obvious "tells" that would indicate a spun hub?

WEH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't know how to tell if the prop is "spun" but about the rod connector - my 1972 service manual says:<br /><br />"drop gearcase sufficiently to expose shift rod connector. Remove lower connector screw."<br /><br />This should allow the lower gearcase assenbly to be removed from the exhaust housing.

ob

Admiral

im4dbucs,To determine whether these two points of assembly of the hub are spinning when under load you'll need to scribe two reference marks on each and observe if they stay aligned.Close visual inspection may reveal the same.<br />The shift linkage pin will indeed need to be removed before dropping lower unit.

im4dbucs

Cadet

I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback Hooty, OB and CC. <br /><br />This has been my 1st experience with this forum and it is really nice to get immediate feedback.<br /><br />Thanks a million!!! <br /><br />I just ordered the OEM manual:<br /> http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/seloc/johnson_evinrude.html#1300 <br /><br />I think I'll wait to drop the lower unit until I get the book and verify that the prop is not "spun".<br /><br />Another real quick question which will help me to decide about whether or not to drop the LU: When the motor is running the water ejected is not a steady stream. I was reading through some old posts and it seems that I may need to replace the water pump and or impeller. Sound right?

WEH

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The water exiting the motor out of the "water outlet" in the rear of the motor housing does not come out as a steady stream. It sort of spurts or spritzes. Most of the cooling water exits the motor with the exhaust down through the exhaust housing and out just above and behind the prop.

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome 4bucs...your team sure had the Falcons # this year...wait til next year!<br /><br />Did this prop propblem happen suddenly? Did you hear gears grinding? Are there metal fragments in your lower unit oil? Answers to these questions should help determine the nature of the problem.<br /><br />I have a '69 9.5 Johnson that I love. Mine does have a rubber hub in the prop. There is a good likelyhood your is spun considering it apperently hit something with enough force to break the drive pin (not a shear pin on this model). If there are no metal fragments in your lower unit oil it is almost certainly a spun prop.

alcan

Commander

Hi Im4<br /> Yes you are correct. If you have never serviced the cooling ststem now is a real good time. You may need just an empeller. Your new book will draw every think for you. Of course if you have any more questions someone here will gladly help.

im4dbucs

Cadet

The LU oil is crystal clear and there was no grinding or knocking noise. I was concerned when I bought the motor so I changed it every two or three outings. Until it was finally clear when I changed it. <br /><br />So I guess spurty water out of the top is normal. Cool

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just curious...how did the drive pin get broken? Were any prop blades damaged? Have you checked to see whether or not the new pin you put in is still intact? An enlarged prop shaft drive pin hole can cause pins to break.

im4dbucs

Cadet

This was puzzling to me as well. I was duck hunting in very shallow water with the motor tilted up running about 1/2 throttle. The motor never kicked up and I never had any sort of jarring impact. Thr prop just sort of stopped turning with any authority. The prop would spin but wouldn't push the boat. <br /><br />I replaced the pin and took it back out. Prop still not turning properly. Since, I have removed the prop and verified that the pin is indeed intact. <br /><br />I spent some serious time with a set of oars in my grip to make up for convincing certain senior duck hunters to go back out in my boat with an untested repair. <br /><br />I got some good advice about scribing the hub within the prop housing, and the prop housing as well, then running it to see if the scribes were misaligned when checked after the test run. I have not done this yet but I do notice a lot of metal wear on the inside lip of the prop housing where the hub seats. No splinters or anything. I wonder if this apparent wear is normal or just a side effect of the casting.

dpminc

Seaman Apprentice

As above, prop does have a cushion hub, and is prob spun. try www.tcoutboard.com for old outboard parts, seem to have every thing!!

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have bought 1 new prop for my 9.5 on ebay for $35. Bought another for $65 @ local dealer. They don't show up to often on ebay.

im4dbucs

Cadet

Micheal Vick.......Wow<br /><br />I look for good things from him slowboat. <br /><br />As you could probably guess I'm a big fan of Warrick Dunn as well. <br /><br />Do you recommend the general use prop or the light duty prop? I have a 14ft V-bottom aluminum that I use for fishing quite a bit (3 people max) and duck hunting occasionally.<br /><br />I can see getting the general use prop for duck hunting but I wonder how much more speed the light duty prop would give me. It would be nice to have any extra speed when fishing. But we really load it with gear for duck hunting. Is there any adverse affect on the motor in general if a light duy prop is used for a big load? Or is it just a performace issue?

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From my personal experience with a similar hull, and with the 3 people you mention, 'I' would definately opt for the heavy load prop. <br /><br />It is important to get the engine up to its recommended RPM range when it is operated @ full throttle. The general use prop is recommended for moderate to light loads. I consider a 14' boat w/3persons & gear to be a heavy load. The only way to know for sure which prop to use is to check actual RPM @ WOT (full throttle) with the load you intend to carry and compare it to the recommended max RPM.

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh yea...Vick is something else & the rest of the team seems to be coming along as well. I really like & respect Warrick too, a real class athelete.