Is there a rise in the interest of 60' & 70' boats?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
I know that old wood boats like Criscraft are collectable and very pricy. Web sites like http://www.fiberglassics.com/ indicate that there is a following for these old fiberglass designs. Even the old wood boat sites that sell them are starting to carry some beautifully restored glass boats.<br /><br />I have received a few emails asking for photos of my boat (to my surprise!) and I was wondering if the forum audience in general has a growing interest in these boats. <br /><br />Now that many of us are in our 40's and up, we can easily afford to pick up old boats cheap and generally have the money to spend on them, making them usable again. Although I did not do a genuine restoration, I avoided making changes that were destructive or not easily reversed (like cutting or making unnecassary holes). <br /><br />Think this is a growing trend? I hope so. Hope it just doesn't price entry level people out of the market. Hate to see a $200 boat suddenly priced at $2000 because someone thinks it is a valuable/collectable/antique boat.<br /><br />Mark<br /><br />PS my $300 boat ended up costing about $4000 for boat, motor & trailer by the time I was done.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is there a rise in the interest of 60' & 70' boats?

I like the old boats for their traditional and classic lines. I just can't seem to warm up to todays spaceship styling.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you are right, Mark.<br /><br />Old boats can't be bought on credit so young and struggling folks can't buy them, boomers are getting to the age that they can pay cash and don't like to owe.<br /><br />As our population gets more mature there are more and more people who want to buy for cash and aren't seduced by the "new" syndrome.

red10

Petty Officer 2nd Class

JB, i agree with you on that, i'm 30 and don't buy unless i can pay cash otherwise don't need it

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

I prefer to look at old boats and thats all.I would only own a newer one so I can enjoy boating without the headache of maintaining an older boat."BEEN THERE>>>>DONE THAT" Charlie

f_inscreenname

Commander

Nothing like classic glass.<br />1972 19’ John Allmand / Super Nova

Ronald1

Seaman

We bought a 1969 Sea Sprite this spring and we love it! I have around $1300 in it including propeller, impeller, tires, wheel bearings, battery, ect.<br /> We have used this boat almost every weekend. Since this rig is paid for our average trip only costs us six gallons of gas, a pint of oil, a package of weiners, pop, beer, and three more gallons of gas for the truck. Talk about cheap fun!<br />In my mind more money spent for a boat does not nessesarily equal more fun on the water. I say this with the asumption that the old/cheap boat will do what you want to do and will start and run when you get to the lake! Major repair bills could spoil all the fun......

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Besides old boats being inexpensive (compared to new boats today), they are just the coolest looking small craft on the water today. <br />I do have both, the newer boat being of welded aluminum with jet motor. When out on the lake the oldie is the tops...just a thought :)

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

New boats offer just a couple of things an old or used one doesn't. Somewhat greater efficiency, status (????), and the presumption of being more reliable. None of which means a plug nickel to me. In my studies the pre-1990 glass boats are made to better quality than most of todays price point mfg's.

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by POINTER94:<br /> New boats offer just a couple of things an old or used one doesn't. Somewhat greater efficiency, status (????), and the presumption of being more reliable. [snip]
I'd agree with that. I know many far newer boats that have had more problems (more strandings and tows) than my almost-30 year old boat (of course, I think it's because most of them are not iboaters!). <br /><br />One thing I will add that's very important to most people I know who buy new though: the warranties. I guess it's peace of mind that every needs to enjoy any boat, and for many the only way to get that is knowing that they're covered by warranties and insurance.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I come from the old school on choppers, minibikes, and boats. I was born 1950, and grew up with the muscle cars, Sportsters, and stripped down Brit-bikes, and the fun times before the massive regulation boom. I want to have fun. I don't care what anybody else thinks. I like to tinker. The new stuff looks the same and ya can't find the motor. My first thought as a kid was staring up at a full dress chromed Panhead Harley, and I will NEVER forget growing up and weekends at the Chain-of-Lakes in Illinois, and that beautiful red boat with the white swirl stripe, and the drop dead gorgeous big tall Merc hanging off the back. I was one impressed and hooked kid. Ahhh, the memories...

petrolhead

Chief Petty Officer

There's certainly a big following for retro boats over here, dozens of them on this stretch of the River Thames, and they always attract lots of attention as they go by, the modern stuff barely gets a glance.<br />And 60s-70s boats are very affordable and often relatively easy resto jobs compared to older wooden boats. Personally I prefer the wooden boats like I'm restoring at the moment, but there have been a few glass boats recently that have caught my eye and got me thinking, not least yours!<br />To me modern boats are like modern cars, functional but souless, they get you from A-B reliably (hopefully, not always the case!) but there's relatively little pleasure in ownership.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

For me, part of the pleasure of ownership of an older boat is the satisfaction gained by working on it. I enjoy the tinkering almost as much as the use. And I think The Warden likes it when I tell her I'm going to the garage to work on the boat.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have not owned a single boat or motor that is not older than myself, yet they have all functioned just fine. I think that, in the end, it all comes down to cost. Yes, the 50s and 60s glass is retro cool, and the 70s rigs get it done, but the allure tends to be more cost than cool points. Lets face it, the vast majority of folks on this site own old boats. They own old boats because paying $30,000 or more for a quality boat is not within the realm of possibility for most of us. Old boats are cheap, easy to repair, and are distinctive in the cookie cutter world of current styling. Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly captain a new Boston Whaler Outrage or Nantucket, but until then, I'll settle for my old, paid for boat.<br /><br />I will admit though, if I somehow ended up with an Outrage tomorrow, I'd end up having to find a classic boat as a second project boat because I just have to have something to tinker with. Even with my current boat, I keep eyeballing it to see if there is something else I can change on it. It's an addiction....

tgkBarney

Seaman Apprentice

I hope there is a growing interest in the 70's tri-hulls... Finished restoring a Starcraft this year from the stringers up and hope to sell it in the near future!

Linc33

Seaman

Originally posted by Captain Tuna:<br /> We bought a 1969 Sea Sprite this spring and we love it! I have around $1300 in it including propeller, impeller, tires, wheel bearings, battery, ect.<br /> We have used this boat almost every weekend. Since this rig is paid for our average trip only costs us six gallons of gas, a pint of oil, a package of weiners, pop, beer, and three more gallons of gas for the truck. Talk about cheap fun!...<br />
Captain Tuna... What type of Sea Sprite did you buy? I bought a 1974 Sea Sprite Bow Rider 15' w/ a 1974 Mercury 65 HP Outboard at the beginning of the summer. We love it and your description of your boat outings sounds like just what we did this summer. I would love to see pictures of your Sea Sprite if you have some. Thanks a lot!!

Thompy_04

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a kid I always enjoyed boating. As long as I can remember my family and I were in a boat almost every weekend with family friends. We owned a 74' Trihull with an Evinrude 115. Didn't fly but was a great reliable boat. After that we got into a little bigger craft, 78' Bayliner Santiago. Had a 305, but block cracked and my Dad went for broke. Took the old block to the shop and got er' fixed, then all the new small block chevy parts came in. Now its a 355. Lots of father son hours in that one. Its a 24' boat but still does 60. Timeless boat, wouldn't let my dad sell it for the world. As soon as I graduated high school last spring, couldn't help myself and bought a 60' Monark V-Bottom. Put in casting deck and a bow mount trolling motor and made her look real nice. It had a 70' 9.5 Johny and did the trick but looked for something bigger. Came across a 60' Johnson 18, came here, and found out this was a strong runner still. Its a jewl, never let me down yet and I'm happy with it. Boating and old boats are addicting. I still go out and wonder if this or this will make me go faster, or look better, or even catch more fish. But things like old boats, working on old motors, or just being out with friends and family really is what makes old boats as 'loveable' as they are. Could you honestly say you had more fun in an old boat than a new one, prolly not, but you have a sense of pride that most likely you put almost made that boat what it is now. Older boats get more than just your memories attached to them. You don't just buy the boat, you buy the memories that have accumulated throughout the years. In a sense on 'older' boat creates its own story, and carries its own 'soul'. Thats why we work on them day and night, and smile when she gets on plane. Sorry so long ladies and gents, just my $.02 worth.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I like being at the ramp and having my 35 year old motor start after only a few seconds of cranking and shoving off while the guy with the much, much newer boat is having difficulties getting his started. I am always aware that it is probably neglect or a lack of seamanship that accounts for his problems, but it still makes my crappy old boat look pretty darn good. I still stand by my belief that old boats are better because they are more "boaty". Everything is all streamlined and non-boaty anymore. They are cars that float. Me, I like the saltyness of old Boston Whalers, and crusty old lobster barges and that sort of thing. Makes it all nautical and stuff.<br /><br />There is an early 60s 17 foot Johnson trihull that is owned by a guy I know. He would take $1500 for it, and it is the coolest boat I have ever seen. It has a Buick V6 inboard in it, full canvas, and a bizarre electric glass windshield that tilts out with an electric ram. They get offers on it everytime they got out in it, but they never wanted to sell it. He did say that it is horrible in rough water, just beats you to death, but the cool factor of it is almost worth it. <br /><br />I have a neighbor down the creek that has a cool old new englandy lobster barge looking boat at his dock, I always gaze longingly at that boat, while ignoring the new fluff at the rest of the docks. Give me a salty old boat any day...

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> Everything is all streamlined and non-boaty anymore. They are cars that float. Me, I like the saltyness of old Boston Whalers, and crusty old lobster barges and that sort of thing. Makes it all nautical and stuff... I always gaze longingly at that boat, while ignoring the new fluff at the rest of the docks. Give me a salty old boat any day...
Amen.

xberet

Cadet

Just have to add my two cents worth..... I've found the older glass boats to fit my needs perfectly. They're cheap to buy, especially in this area where you have to almost give away a non-fishing boat, I can refurbish them to include EXACTLY what I want in a boat (rumors that my '64 Fabuglas Fury has a 6 CD changer are very true...LOL), buy what they need to be done right and yes, they do draw attention when done. These are boats that I coveted when I was too young to own one new. My Glasspar Tri-hull even came with an inline six Mercury outboard which I've ALWAYS thought was just a wicked cool motor. It seems that sometimes life AND old fiberglass boats just get better and better!!!